Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default book on doing tech drawings

On 3/1/2021 10:49 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Technical Drawing is one of those areas where it is as much
about how to think about what it is you are drawing, and for
what reason, as it is about the technicalities of the
drawing. In short, if you just need to know the shape and
dimensions, a 'rough' sketch can suffice. But 'blue prints'
have a lot of technical requirements, because they _are_ the
legal description of the item/part. E.G., I had a drawing
for a part I was making, and while the one row of holes had
each hole in a line, and all 3" apart, there was no
dimension where on the board that line was located. Is it 1
inch from the top? right down the middle? corner to corner?
"Technically" as long as the holes were in a line and on the
board "it was right" - never mind if they don't line up with
the other part.

OK, interesting. Well, I'd like the drawing to be correct at
all points, technically, but it can be super simple at first,
that's good even. And correct terminology all thru.
And examples (drawings). That's it

Like learning English from 0. First lesson is just one word.
"Hello". Well, OK, that _is_ correct English! Then it
progresses, and new concepts are introduced. That would
be ideal.

So pick an area, style of drawing you want to do.
Each is like a different language.

Mechanical drawing is similar but quite different from architectural
drawing. The lettering is substantially different as are the end points
of dimension lines. Pipe fitting drawings are different too as are
electrical schematic drawings.
Basically an architect would probably fail miserable at providing a
machinist a drawing that meant anything or for that matter provide
enough detail.

Aside from that there are rules that apply to dimensions as well as the
drawings themselves. Then there are line weights for each. Then there
are cross section views that are different.

And aside from all of that there are rules for placement of all of the
views on a drawing and then add in isometric views and their exact
placement.

It is a good thing to learn the basics to drawing with a drawing board
but you can, for your own needs, progress further and faster using a
computer and say, Sketchup.