Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default We are very lucky

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

I see, well the problem is of course if we were born back then we would
think the short life span was normal

Nope, I wasn’t and I am older than you.

and probably all go to church to pray for our salvation when we die.

I never did that either.

Now however most people live long enough to have got fed up with living

Don’t buy that either.

and the thought of living forever in some afterlife is not quite so
attractive.

Ditto.

"williamwright" wrote in message
I had a thought this morning, as a lay there too idle to get up. So just
now I googled to get my facts straight. We represent the 300,000th
generation of humans (OK, I do. My kids are 300,001st; their kids are the
300,002nd.)
But until only about seven generations ago almost everyone died before
they were fifty, and many died in their thirties. Go back further and few
survived beyond their twenties.
So aren't we incredibly lucky? We had a one in 43,000 chance of being
humans who can expect a long lifespan.

Bill