Posted to rec.woodworking

Default book on doing tech drawings

Bill on Mon, 1 Mar 2021 00:31:00 -0500 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:
Bill on Sun, 28 Feb 2021 21:21:14 -0500 typed in
rec.woodworking the following:
wrote:
Technology is often better than "GET OFF MY LAWN!". ;-)
I know what you mean, but I ENJOY "Get Off Of My Lawn!!!" : )

My dad used to keep a ledger of every purchase he made for his
house/garden (even packs of seeds!) Me, I use an Excel spreadsheet!
: )
Besides of keeping track of model numbers, dates, and phone numbers,
there's a "nostalgia factor" to having the spreadsheet. Like, we
planted that tree in 20XX...

And how many digital records are lost due to changes in standards,
lost software?

I used Quicken until 2005. When the New Improved Version was such
that nothing was preferable. So Nothing is what I used for the next
several years. The bummer is that all my financial records are lock
up in those Quicken files.

Intuit (maker of TurboTax and Quicken, I think) plays "games" with it's
customers. I don't care for that much...and I vote with my dollars (not
many...) But as far as the technology, I could always port my records
to "paper", if desired. It is handy to be able to look up a model
number of this, that or the other thing---it speeds up shopping. Seems
like you could find an old copy of Quicken somewhere.

I had the install files. But I forgot the password to my docs /
accounts. Yeah, I could have printed them out, but ... didn't occur
to me at the time.

Just like I have an "old copy" of the installation file for the free version of SketchUp,
which is in some ways less handicapped than the current version available.

I had to "start over" when my mobord died. Lot of "Install
version X, when I get it all done and complete, then go online and
update to version nine billion.
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.