Posted to alt.home.repair
dan dan is offline

Default Troy-Bilt TB146 EC cultivator gas tank hoses

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 11:00:05 -0600, Snag wrote:

The nipples on the carb will be different sizes , as the hoses are .
Look inside the tank , either the filter (if there is one) should either
be on the end of the blue hose or rattling around free if it was on the
yellow .

The yellow hose was connected to the ceramic filter inside the gas tank.
There was also a black end to end hose connector inside the gas tank.
There was nothing else inside the gas tank.

The filter is a rather clean white knob of rounded ceramic with a T-shaped
circular metal weight with a hole in the middle of the tube which has a tube
that went on the yellow hose.

The gas has to go through the ceramic filter before it can get to the hole
in the metal tube that goes onto the yellow hose.

The green hose went into the smaller hole in the plastic gas tank. That
green hose I guess had a black connector on it as there was nothing else
inside the gas tank but that small black end to end hose connector.

That black device may be the filter , if so there is probably
some kind of device inside the tank too to keep the hose on the bottom .

I am in the middle of the task where I see now why people just buy a new gas
tank with the hoses already attached. You can't do anything from the inside
because of the bend of the filler in the tank. And you can't push the yellow
hose through the hole without drilling it out first.

What I did though was shave the last quarter inch OD of the yellow hose so
that it stuck out into the inside of the tank where I could pull the hose
through using a long pair of slightly curved 12 inch surgical tweezers.

Then it was a PITA to shove the filter onto that hose with both ends of the
hose dangling outside the gas tank.

Same with shoving that black plastic connector on the end of the smaller OD
hose (although I'm not sure what that black connector that I found inside
the gas tank does except prevent that smaller hose from pulling out of the
tank from the outside).

It's only hard to figger out the first time ... unlike the chain oil
pump plumbing on a 50 year old Homelite Super 2 chainsaw

My first mistake was to put the parts on first and then try to wend the hose
UP out of the gas tank but you just can't get a straight shot due to the
curved neck of the gas tank. So I had to do it twice.

The ONLY way you're going to feed those hoses (without drilling out the
holes in the gas tank anyways) is from the outside in, so you need both ends
of the hose dangling outside the tank to make the necessary connections.