Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default OT Why $7.50 is enough

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 07:17:54 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Sunday, February 28, 2021 at 8:56:45 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 12:02:00 +0000, Bod wrote:

On 28/02/2021 11:55, Arnie Millnickel wrote:
On 2/27/21 9:01 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
You are BS ing the wrong guy. I am not only a trained mechanic but I
TRAINED mechanics

Hey Goober,

Those who can, do; those who can't, teach.

Erm, if he trained as a mechanic, then he *did* do.
You have to *do* first before you can teach.

Not really. Our education system is dominated by people who went to
school at 5 and never left. They never had a job that wasn't teaching
things they have never done. That assumes they actually teach you
something that translates to a job.
I know the two colleges that I worked at had computer science programs
that were teaching stuff that was 10 years old in a business that was
changing yearly.

Even computer science programs are designed to churn out future professors,
not future coders.

Cindy Hamilton

A prper technician training program teaches the PRINCIPALS of the
technology. If you know how something works at the basic level you can
figure out theadvanced features as well. If you know how something is
SUPPOSED to work, and you can figure out what it is or is not doing
that is NOT what it is supposed to do, a well trained tech can figure
out what could cause the anomoly. Same with the OBD2. If you get a
code telling you one bank is lean and that cat is running hot anf the
HCs are high, you know that you have a combustion problem - and if
combined with a cyl miss on that side you have a pretty good idea that
it is NOT an O2 sensor problem (which the code would suggest) but the
system is actually running with too much fuel in the exhaust - due to
a likely ignition missfire. A 3 gas or 5 gas analyzer would prove it
by likely showing high HCs (indicating rich) as well as high exhaust
O2 (which an untrained mechanic woulf think meant running lean). That
was how we diagnosed before OBD2 - Lots of the BASICS are still
applicable to the new tech diagnosis.

I had one situation that REALLY had me (as well as another mechanic)
totally flummoxed.
It was that 1989 Aerostar (pre obd) that blew the converter seal
outside Imlay City Michigan on the way to BC.

A few hours out of Imlay it started to misfire. We stopped for the
night and it ran great when we left at 6am in the morning - for a
while. Then it went back to a severe missfire.At about 7:30 we got to
a small town with a Ford Dealer an a CONOCO station just off the
highway. At 8 when they opened I checked both the dealer and the
service station - the dealer couldn't look at it for 4 days - the
service stzation mechanic had an 8am appointment, but was free to look
at it at about 9:30 or 10:00.I had just put new plugs in before the
trip and cleaned the injectors - so the Mechanic put it on the scope
to check the firing patterns. They looked perfect - it idled smooth
but misfired under load - with NO CHANGE in the firing pattern. He ran
He pulled he plugs to see what they look like. 2 were totally black.
Did I have 2 defective plugs that failed early?? I said change them
all - just to be sure. When he went to put the wires back on he all af
a sudden said something like "Whoa!! What have we here??" when he
found 2 spark plug wires that looked and felt like burned hot dogs -
about 5/8 of an inch in diameter and rough and scaly. The mechanic at
Imlay City Ford had not fastened the spark plug wire loom bracket to
the transmission bolt and 2 wires had been laying on the exhaust
manifold and totally "toasted" - and the spark jumping through the
carbonized silicone plug wire showed EXACTLY the same spark signature
as a properly firing spark plug in the cyl. Between the next door Ford
dealer and the NAPA store 3 blocks or so away they had the 2 wires we
needed to make the repair and we were back on the road before lunch.