Posted to rec.woodworking

Default book on doing tech drawings

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 06:39:25 -0500, Bill wrote:

Puckdropper wrote:
pyotr filipivich wrote in

I had a semester of mechanical drafting in high school. I'm SO glad I
did. Even though most stuff is done with Sketchup, the ability to grab a
piece of paper and use "that looks about right" for my dimensions is
perhaps the best skill I learned in high school. You can almost always
borrow a pen/pencil and something to write on.

The cool thing is that the skills can transfer. Working with faces and
edges in Sketchup directly links back to "do I need this line?" and
"what's this line doing here?" from mechanical drafting.

Puckdropper

Kind of sad there are kids out there who don't know how to use a
straight-edge and a compass, huh? Or, a T-square! : )
I had the "basics" down pretty early since my dad was an engineer.

Yeah, that walking 2 miles up-hill through 6' of snow to school, both
ways, was tough! I still prefer the car (never rode a bus).

I remember in 4th or 5th grade we had an assignment to sketch a room of
our house (and I enjoyed the technicalities). The teacher said,
"...and you were the only one who drew sharp arrows (arrowheads)", and I
just said, "well, my dad is an engineer". I have wondered since then
whether she thought I got help with the assignment, because I didn't ask
for or get any! It just wasn't my first rodeo! : )

Not everything was better fifty years ago. If it were we wouldn't
have all the spoiled-rotten kids who think boys are girls permeating
the society. They haven't any real problems so have to invent them.