Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Why $7.50 is enough

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 11:24:41 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...
hat is a big part of the problem. Bumping up the minimum wage does
not lift all boats. It just compresses the wage scale. If the raise
from being a starting fryer cleaner, floor mopper to shift manager is
only 73 cents it makes it hard to motivate your employees to get
better and your turnover rate is horrendous. That "$32,000 a year
manager" is probably exempt and works way more than 40 hours a week
for a straight salary, not hourly, making his "$16 an hour" actually
less than the floor mopper makes.

Lots of times the managers will actually be making less per hour than
some of the workers as they have to fill in when someone is out.
Reminds me of my dad. He worked for a mobile home builder. He was one
of the first few hired. After about 2 years they wanted to make him a
forman at a salary but he did not really want that job as it was a
working forman type of job. He did take it and for the first 3 months
it was fine. Then the company started working over time After about 3
months of that he looked at his pay and hours and was making a lot less
than the ones under him. Told the company to let him go back to his old
job or he was leaving. So they let him go back to his old job.

Lots of hardware guys at IBM made more than their boss if they worked
a lot of overtime. That is the nature of the beast. At my wife's club
the head server was offered a management position many times. She
always declined. She was willing to do the managing but she wouldn't
take the pay cut to go exempt. I was in a similar position in my job.
I had the management responsibility in Ft Myers but not the title. It
was a good thing. The manager got laid off long before I left.