Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default OT - binoculars with built in camers

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 18:32:40 +0000, williamwright wrote:

On 26/02/2021 13:06, David wrote:
Anybody used a set of binoculars with a built in camera.

A few times recently whilst on my daily exercise I've seen things
through the binoculars which would have been nice to capture.

Also seen birds, deer, a fox, hares etc.

Has anyone used these things?

Seems like a sensible idea but not much good if the quality is rubbish
or usability is poor.

Cheers

Dave R

I get far better pictures of distant objects from my Nikon P600 than I
can see through my Carl Zeiss 10 x 80 binoculars. I have the bins on my
windowsill but I usually go and get the camera if there's something
happening. I should mention that I have a very good view in that
direction.

I find that it's much easier to use the camera (with the screen) than it
is to use the bins.

You want to get a camera.

Bill

Kind of you to assume that I don't already have one.

Just as a hint, on a 35mm camera the 50mm lens is roughly natural size.
So my longest lens (200mm) is roughly 4x natural size.
My binoculars are 10x42 which gives a lot more detail.

So 35mm camera doesn't have enough magnification (unless I want to spend
several hundreds perhaps thousands on a very long lens) which is then only
usable with a monopod or tripod and is also a big thing to lug around.

Small format cameras with LCD screens on the back are fine if on a tripod
and also not having bright sunlight shining on the screen.
Ditto mobile phones.
Both give pretty shaky results if hand held at 10x or higher.
There is also the "just a minute while I dig out and power up and...****,
missed it!" situation.
Not really comparable to leaning it on your window cill.

So, my use case is that I out walking in the countryside, am looking
through binoculars, see something fleetingly visible and want to capture a
picture.

I have large and small cameras and a mobile phone with a decent camera but
these aren't working for me.

Cheers

Dave R