Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default OT Why $7.50 is enough

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 22:06:35 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/26/2021 9:20 PM, Fred wrote:

If the glass company does not have the instruments you do.* Some now
have them, not all do.* As the systems become more commonplace they
are investing in the equipment.* Genesis dealers get about $125 for it.

But those operations don’t go back to school to learn how to do it.

All the big glass shop chains have training programs and spend a LOT
on training

They use the documentation that comes with it.

WTF do you think that is? A form of training.

And it still makes no sense for the state to require 4 years
of formal training before* you can work as a mechanic.

I never said 4 years.* But a competent shop today has assorted
training for their certified mechanics.

And the best mechanics don’t need that.

As a fealer service manager I sent my technicians to training
provided by the manufacturer several times a year. Average about 15
hours per tech per year. When I was working at an independent
":service station" garage the oil company provided training several
times a year on different systems. I likely averaged 15 hours a year
from SHell, Imperial, and Texaco over the years as well as seminars
put on by publications like SSGM (Service Station and Garage
Management) and from parts suppliers (like UAP/NAPA) and companies
like Delco Remy, Neihoff and Echlin) just for starters - and that was
when cars were "simple" mechanical dinasaurs

Try running a dealership without it

I guess you don't mind these guys working on your car.

In fact I do all the work on my car myself.

Another sample of 1

And how many un-necessary parts does he install trying to solve a
problem before he stumbles on the right fix? Even a blind pig finds
the occaisional acorn.