Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Why $7.50 is enough

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 16:00:43 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/26/2021 1:55 PM, wrote:

When I started working, in 1963, the minimum wage was $1. Adjusted for
inflation that is $8.55 now.

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

In 1966 I started at IBM at $2.60 an hour.

In 1963 it was $1.25

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/min.../history/chart

Would be $10.65 now
https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

Read the footnotes
"1 the 1938 Act was applicable generally to employees engaged in
interstate commerce or in the production of goods for interstate
commerce.
2 the 1961 Amendments extended coverage primarily to employees in
large retail and service enterprises as well as to local transit,
construction, and gasoline service station employees. "

Most folks fell under #2. $1,00 if they were covered at all. My short
lived lifeguard job was exempt from both.

It was a 12 hour a day job that paid **** but you had all the teenaged
girls you could handle. That is a consideration when you are 17. My
best paying job was cash delivering iced chickens, $20 a truckload all
around Northern Virginia, mostly to 7-11s when they were selling
rotisserie chickens. If you hustled you could empty the truck in about
4-5 hours. That was more money than I made at IBM. The problem was it
was only one day a week, Saturday.