Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Why $7.50 is enough

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 12:12:25 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 2:47:32 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Sometimes the minimum skilled jobs are really necessary and should pay
more. Take the garbage collection. Not much skill to drive the truck
and pick up the cans.

Bad example They could be making $40,000-$70,000 a year depending on
where they are, plus bennies.

It does all depend on where one lives. I would guess that in some
cities of California or New York the 40 to 70 thousand may put one on
the lower pay scale. Where I live that would be a very good paying job.
The average wage is mostly under $ 18 per hour.

What is difficult is that I guess many things cost the same in all parts
of the country not counting the homes and taxes.

It used to be that grocery stores around here hired people from 16 to 20
years old to stock the shelves and bag groceries. We even carried them
to the cars and put them in the cars. Now there are some that just
operate the cash registers and put the groceries in the bags. The fast
food places hired the same age group for most of the jobs. Now those
jobs are taken over by grown ups that are trying to make a living at it.

Yeah. I can't remember which downturn it was (1992?) that I first saw
some gray-haired old man working at McDonald's. It was kind of sad.
He definitely looked like he'd been downsized from a real job and was
at the end of his rope.

Cindy Hamilton

I started working in fast food joints in 84 and we had some that were
all kids with a 2.5 or 3 three a year turn over rate, a few were full
of older people who had been there long enough to make decent money
for Florida. That still wasn't the only bread winner in the house tho.
It was empty nest housewives or ones with kids on school who wanted a
daytime gig while their hubby was at work for some extra money. Those
were the smoothest running shops because any one of them could have
been the manager but they didn't want to move. I was one of the few
guys who didn't mind fast food. I just made it easier with a change in
the maintenance philosophy and we ended getting a pretty good
reputation at Wendy's HQ. When they rolled out their new registers,
they did it in our territory. I met Dave.