Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default OT Why $7.50 is enough

On 02/26/2021 02:00 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/26/2021 1:55 PM, wrote:

When I started working, in 1963, the minimum wage was $1. Adjusted for
inflation that is $8.55 now.

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

In 1966 I started at IBM at $2.60 an hour.

In 1963 it was $1.25

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/min.../history/chart

Would be $10.65 now
https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

This is a cut'n'paste from twitter and I have not checked the numbers.
$11 would put a single person over the SNAP limit I believe, for a full
40 hour work week but Walmart appears to employ many part timers.

I shop at Walmart about once a year after exhausting the other options
in town so I have no feel for it. I have been shopping at CostCo for
over 20 years and recognize quite a few people that have been working
there that long so they must be satisfied.

Dan Price @DanPriceSeattle

Min wage
Costco: $16
Walmart: $11

Average pay
Costco: $24
Walmart: $15

Employees on food stamps (subsidized by you)
Costco: Virtually none
Walmart: More than any other company

Founder net worth
Costco: not a billionaire
Walmart: over $220 billion; up $30 billion in pandemic