Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT Why $7.50 is enough

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Sometimes the minimum skilled jobs are really necessary and should pay
more. Take the garbage collection. Not much skill to drive the truck
and pick up the cans.

Bad example They could be making $40,000-$70,000 a year depending on
where they are, plus bennies.

It does all depend on where one lives. I would guess that in some
cities of California or New York the 40 to 70 thousand may put one on
the lower pay scale. Where I live that would be a very good paying job.
The average wage is mostly under $ 18 per hour.

What is difficult is that I guess many things cost the same in all parts
of the country not counting the homes and taxes.

It used to be that grocery stores around here hired people from 16 to 20
years old to stock the shelves and bag groceries. We even carried them
to the cars and put them in the cars. Now there are some that just
operate the cash registers and put the groceries in the bags. The fast
food places hired the same age group for most of the jobs.

Now those jobs are taken over by grown
ups that are trying to make a living at it.

I don't believe that with either of those jobs.

From what they are saying if the wages go up very much the fast
food places will soon go to a vending machine type operation.

Yep, it a classic where its easy to automate.

More jobs lost to automation.

But the unemployment rate is still very low without the virus.