Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Why $7.50 is enough

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 09:16:04 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/26/2021 9:01 AM, micky wrote:
OT Why $7.50 is enough

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1807595.html

"Republican Senator John Thune has rejected an effort from congressional
Democrats to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $15,
pointing to his $6 or less hourly wages that he earned working at a
restaurant as a €œkid€."

Thune graduated from Jones County High School in Murdo, South Dakota in
1979, when a $6 hourly wage €“ adjusted to modern inflation rates €“ would
amount to roughly $23 in 2021 dollars.

But he thinks, or he wants you to think, that if he got by on $6 or
less, people 41 years later should get by on 7.50.

That is a lot of BS and he is nuts. When I got my first fill time bob I
got $1.55 an hour. There is no reason to pay more than $3 now.

I was making less than $100 a week when I bought a house and got
married. You should be able to do that today on $200. Thune is just
too extravagant.

When I started working, in 1963, the minimum wage was $1. Adjusted for
inflation that is $8.55 now.

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

In 1966 I started at IBM at $2.60 an hour.