Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Why $7.50 is enough

OT Why $7.50 is enough

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1807595.html

"Republican Senator John Thune has rejected an effort from congressional
Democrats to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $15,
pointing to his $6 or less hourly wages that he earned working at a
restaurant as a “kid”."

Thune graduated from Jones County High School in Murdo, South Dakota in
1979, when a $6 hourly wage – adjusted to modern inflation rates – would
amount to roughly $23 in 2021 dollars.

But he thinks, or he wants you to think, that if he got by on $6 or
less, people 41 years later should get by on 7.50.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 9:01:55 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
OT Why $7.50 is enough

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1807595.html

"Republican Senator John Thune has rejected an effort from congressional
Democrats to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $15,
pointing to his $6 or less hourly wages that he earned working at a
restaurant as a €œkid€."

Thune graduated from Jones County High School in Murdo, South Dakota in
1979, when a $6 hourly wage €“ adjusted to modern inflation rates €“ would
amount to roughly $23 in 2021 dollars.

But he thinks, or he wants you to think, that if he got by on $6 or
less, people 41 years later should get by on 7.50.

Now, the mimumim wage in Spain is $8.00 an hour USD. Why pay them more?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2021 9:01 AM, micky wrote:
OT Why $7.50 is enough

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1807595.html

"Republican Senator John Thune has rejected an effort from congressional
Democrats to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $15,
pointing to his $6 or less hourly wages that he earned working at a
restaurant as a €œkid€."

Thune graduated from Jones County High School in Murdo, South Dakota in
1979, when a $6 hourly wage €“ adjusted to modern inflation rates €“ would
amount to roughly $23 in 2021 dollars.

But he thinks, or he wants you to think, that if he got by on $6 or
less, people 41 years later should get by on 7.50.

That is a lot of BS and he is nuts. When I got my first fill time bob I
got $1.55 an hour. There is no reason to pay more than $3 now.

I was making less than $100 a week when I bought a house and got
married. You should be able to do that today on $200. Thune is just
too extravagant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 9:12:24 AM UTC-5, bruce bowser wrote:
On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 9:01:55 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
OT Why $7.50 is enough

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1807595.html

"Republican Senator John Thune has rejected an effort from congressional
Democrats to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $15,
pointing to his $6 or less hourly wages that he earned working at a
restaurant as a €œkid€."

Thune graduated from Jones County High School in Murdo, South Dakota in
1979, when a $6 hourly wage €“ adjusted to modern inflation rates €“ would
amount to roughly $23 in 2021 dollars.

But he thinks, or he wants you to think, that if he got by on $6 or
less, people 41 years later should get by on 7.50.

Now, the mimumim wage in Spain is $8.00 an hour USD. Why pay them more?

It's $19.84 in Australia. Why pay them less?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/21 9:01 AM, micky wrote:
OT Why $7.50 is enough

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1807595.html

"Republican Senator John Thune has rejected an effort from congressional
Democrats to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $15,
pointing to his $6 or less hourly wages that he earned working at a
restaurant as a €œkid€."

Thune graduated from Jones County High School in Murdo, South Dakota in
1979, when a $6 hourly wage €“ adjusted to modern inflation rates €“ would
amount to roughly $23 in 2021 dollars.

But he thinks, or he wants you to think, that if he got by on $6 or
less, people 41 years later should get by on 7.50.

What was a Senator's salary in 1979 ?

Maybe Mr Thune would like to have his salary changed to that amount, and
see how he gets by on it today.

Actually it was $29.12 an hour vs $83.65 today, which is a 186% increase
compared to $6 to $7.25 is a 21% increase.

https://www.senate.gov/senators/Sena...sSince1789.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 8:01:55 AM UTC-6, micky wrote:
OT Why $7.50 is enough

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1807595.html

"Republican Senator John Thune has rejected an effort from congressional
Democrats to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $15,
pointing to his $6 or less hourly wages that he earned working at a
restaurant as a €œkid€."

Thune graduated from Jones County High School in Murdo, South Dakota in
1979, when a $6 hourly wage €“ adjusted to modern inflation rates €“ would
amount to roughly $23 in 2021 dollars.

But he thinks, or he wants you to think, that if he got by on $6 or
less, people 41 years later should get by on 7.50.

The minimum wage was $1.60 when I got my first job in 1972. I was the Superintendent of Stools
at a campground. It would be $10.47 now.
https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/items/1971-united-states-minimum-wage
That leaves aside the question of whether there should be such a thing as a
minimum wage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/21 9:27 AM, wrote:
On 2/26/21 9:01 AM, micky wrote:
OTย*ย* Why $7.50 is enough

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1807595.html

"Republican Senator John Thune has rejected an effort from congressional
Democrats to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $15,
pointing to his $6 or less hourly wages that he earned working at a
restaurant as a €œkid€."

Thune graduated from Jones County High School in Murdo, South Dakota in
1979, when a $6 hourly wage €“ adjusted to modern inflation rates €“ would
amount to roughly $23 in 2021 dollars.

But he thinks, or he wants you to think, that if he got by on $6 or
less, people 41 years later should get by on 7.50.

If you don't want minimum wage, don't have minimum skills.

--
Why is it that the people who want more government control over your
life are the same ones who want you to be disarmed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/21 9:43 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 2/26/21 9:27 AM, wrote:
On 2/26/21 9:01 AM, micky wrote:
OTย*ย* Why $7.50 is enough

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1807595.html

"Republican Senator John Thune has rejected an effort from congressional
Democrats to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $15,
pointing to his $6 or less hourly wages that he earned working at a
restaurant as a €œkid€."

Thune graduated from Jones County High School in Murdo, South Dakota in
1979, when a $6 hourly wage €“ adjusted to modern inflation rates €“ would
amount to roughly $23 in 2021 dollars.

But he thinks, or he wants you to think, that if he got by on $6 or
less, people 41 years later should get by on 7.50.

If you don't want minimum wage, don't have minimum skills.

Furthermore, when I had minimum wage jobs, my goal was to better myself€”
not to better the minimum wage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 9:43:15 AM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 2/26/21 9:27 AM, wrote:
On 2/26/21 9:01 AM, micky wrote:
OT Why $7.50 is enough

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1807595.html

"Republican Senator John Thune has rejected an effort from congressional
Democrats to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $15,
pointing to his $6 or less hourly wages that he earned working at a
restaurant as a €œkid€."

Thune graduated from Jones County High School in Murdo, South Dakota in
1979, when a $6 hourly wage €“ adjusted to modern inflation rates €“ would
amount to roughly $23 in 2021 dollars.

But he thinks, or he wants you to think, that if he got by on $6 or
less, people 41 years later should get by on 7.50.

If you don't want minimum wage, don't have minimum skills.

Are you aware that there are people who, no matter how hard they try,
will never have more than minimum skills? The retarded bagger at the
grocery store, for example.

Next you'll be bitching that those minimal-skills people are getting
food stamps because they can't afford to live on minimum wage.

Try not to trip as you step across their dead bodies in the streets.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 9:27:56 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Same here, my first job was at $1.60 an hour too. This Thune is one big dope.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/21 9:27 AM, wrote:
On 2/26/21 9:01 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

Another argument for a higher minimum wage is that don't we want people
to have a positive experience going to work for the first time? Isn't it better
that they make a decent amount so that they see that it's worth it? The
biggest negative impact would be on businesses that have foreign competition
and need low cost US labor to compete. Those jobs would be lost if they
can't continue to compete with imports. Without that effect, economics 101
says that businesses will pass on that increased cost to us. A good question
is how much effect it would actually have on us. Like a big mac would go
from $4 to ?? A Walmart purchase would go from X to ??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2021 9:47 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 2/26/21 9:43 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 2/26/21 9:27 AM, wrote:
On 2/26/21 9:01 AM, micky wrote:
OTย*ย* Why $7.50 is enough

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1807595.html

"Republican Senator John Thune has rejected an effort from
congressional
Democrats to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $15,
pointing to his $6 or less hourly wages that he earned working at a
restaurant as a €œkid€."

Thune graduated from Jones County High School in Murdo, South Dakota in
1979, when a $6 hourly wage €“ adjusted to modern inflation rates €“
would
amount to roughly $23 in 2021 dollars.

But he thinks, or he wants you to think, that if he got by on $6 or
less, people 41 years later should get by on 7.50.

If you don't want minimum wage, don't have minimum skills.

Furthermore, when I had minimum wage jobs, my goal was to better myself€”
not to better the minimum wage.

Years ago a guy complained that he had been making minimum wage for 20
years. Someone commented that maybe life is trying to tell him something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in message
[...]

It's $19.84 in Australia.

Thats $A tho and our costs are higher for the stuff those
on a minimum wage buy like fast food and slum rents.

Why pay them less?

See above.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 09:01:46 -0500, micky
wrote:

OT Why $7.50 is enough

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1807595.html

"Republican Senator John Thune has rejected an effort from congressional
Democrats to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $15,
pointing to his $6 or less hourly wages that he earned working at a
restaurant as a “kid”."

Thune graduated from Jones County High School in Murdo, South Dakota in
1979, when a $6 hourly wage – adjusted to modern inflation rates – would
amount to roughly $23 in 2021 dollars.

But he thinks, or he wants you to think, that if he got by on $6 or
less, people 41 years later should get by on 7.50.

Hey, I made under a dollar an hour as an apprentice mechanic back in
'69 and '70 - but gas cost less than50cents a gallon - often less than
a quarter - and a loaf of bread was 19 to 25 cents.
I bought my first (8 year old) car for $60. A frozen TV dinner was
under 50 cents, a hamburger about 50 cents, a gallon of milk about 75
or 80 cents. I bought 4 new tires for my mini for 9 dollars each. If I
remember correctly I paid $49 for a GOOD suit.

When I got my mechanics papers in 1972 I made $5000 my first year. I
think I made $40 or $50 a day as a supply teacher. in 1973
A new Gremlin or Hornet or chevy pickup was about $2800
By 1975 base rate was from $5 to $8.50 an hour

In 2018 I billed $35 an hour - 7 times what I earned in in 1975.
Tires cost about 10 times as much - Hamburger more than 10X - a new
pickup about 10X.
The basics of life have increased at a higher rate than average
income - and the difference between the high and low earners has
increased - and only the "extres" like tech have dropped in the number
of hours required to buy - making the discrepancy between the
"subsistance earner" and the middle class much more noticeable.
ANf that's not evenlooking at the cost of a roof over your head.
The house we sold in 1981 for $50000 sells today for in excess of
$700,000. Houses went up 23-27% last year alone locally - our house we
paid $67000 for in 1982 would bring something close to (or over) $800
grand in today's market - and it's no castle - a 1320 sq ft 2 story
brick and aluminum siding 45 year old suburban house with single
garage on a roughly 1/3 acre corner lot. You can't buy even a
townhouse that's fit to live in for $300000 and rent for a 2 bedroom
apartment under $1000 (plus utilities) is getting pretty hard to find
as well.

a couple working for $7.50 per hour working 45 hour weeks and taking
no hollidays MIGHT manage to earn $38000 a year with some overtime -
between the two of them. That's not going to leave much money for
"extras" - or much time to enjoy them.
A couple can get by - sharing many costs - but for a single on
$18000??? Good luck

I'd like to see Thune get by on twice that - - - --

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

" wrote in message
[...]

Fark, highest purchasing power in the OECD, didnt know that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimu...e_ wage_ratio

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message
[...]

Virtually everyone has one now, even china and vietnam.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/21 9:27 AM, wrote:
On 2/26/21 9:01 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

Not to mention the kids of those earning minimum wage or slightly
more can't even DREAM of going to college or university to better
themselves.
Almost 20% of Texans don't even have a high school education
In west virginia roughly 18% HAVE A 4 YEAR HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA or
more and over 32% make under $25000 a year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/21 9:27 AM, wrote:
On 2/26/21 9:01 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

Bull****.

The retarded bagger at the grocery store, for example.

Even those can have more than minimum skills, just takes longer to get them.

Next you'll be bitching that those minimal-skills people are getting
food stamps because they can't afford to live on minimum wage.

Try not to trip as you step across their dead bodies in the streets.

Those are due to drug overdose, not lack of food.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 10:11:53 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , says...

If you don't want minimum wage, don't have minimum skills.

--

Sometimes the minimum skilled jobs are really necessary and should pay
more. Take the garbage collection. Not much skill to drive the truck

Except for some areas like the medical and legal profession. While not
really union, the BAR and Medical association have those areas set so
they make lots of money. For example you can not just start up a
hospital with out getting their approval, but you can put up a service
station next to one if you have the money to do it. There are a
limiated number of medical schools.

And the "service station" guy is NOT a "low skills" guy unless all
he does is pump gas (what's that? in all bur a couple states) and
changes oil. An automotive technician takes 4 years of study after
secondary school - over half of what it takes a lawyer.
Yes, I know many states do not regulate automotive technicians with a
mandatory licensing system - but they SHOULD.
And I know quite a few "mechanics" with university degrees who went
"back to school" to get a trade after their university degrees didn't
get them a "job"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2021 9:43 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 2/26/21 9:27 AM, wrote:
On 2/26/21 9:01 AM, micky wrote:
OTย*ย* Why $7.50 is enough

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1807595.html

"Republican Senator John Thune has rejected an effort from congressional
Democrats to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $15,
pointing to his $6 or less hourly wages that he earned working at a
restaurant as a €œkid€."

Thune graduated from Jones County High School in Murdo, South Dakota in
1979, when a $6 hourly wage €“ adjusted to modern inflation rates €“ would
amount to roughly $23 in 2021 dollars.

But he thinks, or he wants you to think, that if he got by on $6 or
less, people 41 years later should get by on 7.50.

If you don't want minimum wage, don't have minimum skills.

While that seems to make a lot of sense at first glance, some people are
morn with minimal capacity. They do not have the ability to improve.
Maybe $5 is enough for them?

I've hired people like that and though limited did a fine job and were
reliable. No need to starve them. If you cannot pay $10 today you don't
deserve to be in business.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/21 9:27 AM, wrote:
On 2/26/21 9:01 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

That isnt the only way to better yourself.

Almost 20% of Texans don't even have a high school education

And plenty of those get more than the minimum wage.

In west virginia roughly 18% HAVE A 4 YEAR HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA
or more and over 32% make under $25000 a year.

And its their fault they ended up like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 10:11:53 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , says...

[...]

That's completely mad. Anyone with real mechanical skills doesn't
need 4 years of study to do a decent job on modern cars.

And I know quite a few "mechanics" with university degrees
who went "back to school" to get a trade after their university
degrees didn't get them a "job"

And I know quite a few mechanics that never need to go back to
school to turn a pile of rusting metal into a fully restored vintage car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That last is bull**** even with the retarded.

Maybe $5 is enough for them?

I've hired people like that and though limited did a fine job and were
reliable. No need to starve them.

No one starves in the first and second
world except the bulimics and anorexics.

If you cannot pay $10 today you don't deserve to be in business.

Thats bull**** too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2021 1:12 PM, Fred wrote:

"Clare Snyder" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 10:11:53 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , says...

If you don't want minimum wage, don't have minimum skills.

--

Sometimes the minimum skilled jobs are really necessary and should pay
more.ย* Take the garbage collection.ย* Not much skill to drive the truck
and pick up the cans.ย* However if someone did not do that job the
country would be in bad shapeย* after a while.ย* Even the people stocking
the shelves or checking out people at the stores require minimum skills
but are needed.ย* There just seems to be more people with minimal skills
than there are jobs for them, so the wages are low. It is more of a
supply and demand.

Except for some areas like the medical and legal profession.ย* While not
really union, the BAR and Medical association have those areas set so
they make lots of money.ย* For example you can not just start up a
hospital with out getting their approval, but you can put up a service
stationย* next to one if you have the money to do it.ย* There are a
limiated number of medical schools.

And the "service station" guy is NOT a "low skills"ย* guy unless all
he does is pump gas (what's that? in all bur a couple states) and
changes oil. An automotive technician takes 4 years of study after
secondary school - over half of what it takes a lawyer.

Yes, I know many states do not regulate automotive technicians
with a mandatory licensing system - but they SHOULD.

That's completely mad. Anyone with real mechanical skills doesn't
need 4 years of study to do a decent job on modern cars.

And I know quite a few "mechanics" with university degrees
who went "back to school" to get a trade after their university
degrees didn't get them a "job"

And I know quite a few mechanics that never need to go back to
school to turn a pile of rusting metal into a fully restored vintage car.

Reminds me of my nephew with a high school education who went to work
for a body shop over 20 years ago. Today he owns the business.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...
[...]

Service stations mean lots of things now. Many in my area mainly pump
gas (most are really pump it yourself) and maybe change or repair tires
and a few minor things like wipers and light bulbs and oil changes. I
think a lot of their money comes from the safety inspections. That is
about all that is required of by cars of today. Anything else is usually
a major repair and requires lots of skill.

I remember years ago that oil was changed every couple of thousand
miles, spark plugs and points around 10,000 and a few other things that
did not require a lot of skill to do . Now oil is good for 7000 or
more, plugs to 100,000 and no points. Most of those jobs could be done
by many of the teen agers that I knew back around 1970.

Auto techs are mainly in shops of their own and do not fool with gas or
else they work for one of the large motor companies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 04:19:40 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2021 04:50:33 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

OT Why $7.50 is enough

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1807595.html

"Republican Senator John Thune has rejected an effort from congressional
Democrats to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $15,
pointing to his $6 or less hourly wages that he earned working at a
restaurant as a €œkid€."

Thune graduated from Jones County High School in Murdo, South Dakota in
1979, when a $6 hourly wage €“ adjusted to modern inflation rates €“ would
amount to roughly $23 in 2021 dollars.

But he thinks, or he wants you to think, that if he got by on $6 or
less, people 41 years later should get by on 7.50.

If you adjusted the minimum wage to inflation $9-10 would be
reasonable. Nobody ever said minimum wage was supposed to support a
family. It is an entry level wage for the most menial work and if you
are still only able to make that much money as a working adult, simply
throwing more money at you is not the answer. You need to learn a
skill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/2021 1:15 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 2/26/2021 9:43 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 2/26/21 9:27 AM, wrote:
On 2/26/21 9:01 AM, micky wrote:
OTย*ย* Why $7.50 is enough

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1807595.html

"Republican Senator John Thune has rejected an effort from
congressional
Democrats to raise the federal minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $15,
pointing to his $6 or less hourly wages that he earned working at a
restaurant as a €œkid€."

Thune graduated from Jones County High School in Murdo, South
Dakota in
1979, when a $6 hourly wage €“ adjusted to modern inflation rates €“
would
amount to roughly $23 in 2021 dollars.

But he thinks, or he wants you to think, that if he got by on $6 or
less, people 41 years later should get by on 7.50.

If you don't want minimum wage, don't have minimum skills.

While that seems to make a lot of sense at first glance, some people
are morn with minimal capacity.ย* They do not have the ability to improve.

That last is bull**** even with the retarded.

So, tell us about your experience working with retarded and low
intelligence people. Surely you have evidence to back up your statement.

Maybe $5 is enough for them?

I've hired people like that and though limited did a fine job and were
reliable.ย* No need to starve them.

No one starves in the first and second
world except the bulimics and anorexics.

And the poor that go to bed hungry and the homeless.

If you cannot pay $10 today you don't deserve to be in business.

Thats bull**** too.

What is a fair pay?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Feb 2021 09:16:04 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

When I started working, in 1963, the minimum wage was $1. Adjusted for
inflation that is $8.55 now.

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

In 1966 I started at IBM at $2.60 an hour.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/21 9:27 AM, wrote:
On 2/26/21 9:01 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

I suppose they should understand once they are making $15 some of
those programs may be unavailable to them
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sometimes the minimum skilled jobs are really necessary and should pay
more. Take the garbage collection. Not much skill to drive the truck
and pick up the cans.

Bad example They could be making $40,000-$70,000 a year depending on
where they are, plus bennies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
[...]

I'm not convinced that that's true on either count. Most
of the time it's the failure of a sensor and the OBD2
tells you what has failed and its easy to replace it.

I remember years ago that oil was changed every couple of thousand
miles, spark plugs and points around 10,000 and a few other things
that did not require a lot of skill to do . Now oil is good for 7000 or
more, plugs to 100,000 and no points. Most of those jobs could be
done by many of the teen agers that I knew back around 1970.

Auto techs are mainly in shops of their own and do not fool with
gas or else they work for one of the large motor companies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/21 9:27 AM, wrote:
On 2/26/21 9:01 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

Labor is a big part of the cost of most businesses ... until labor
costs cause them to automate more.
Walmart is already raising wages but I suspect the fast food joints
will look more to automation. Your Burger King could go from a staff
of 15 to 20 at lunch to 5 or 6. They already do not have burger
flippers. They use an automated flame broiler. All they need is a
robot to bun them up, add the condiments and wrap them. An automated
fryer is not that complicated. The drink dispenser already measures
the drink. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to see a model where
you order and pay on your phone, (you can already do that) the
machines assemble your order and you just have a person shoving them
out the window or over the counter. You have someone else dumping raw
food and packaging into the hoppers.
You could pay them $15 an hour and still pay to maintain the robots
because you have a quarter of your former staff.

This is not really a new idea. I heard people at BK headquarters in
Miami talking about it 30 years ago. It just didn't make economic
sense then. The hardware and software we were developing for them was
just designed to make the workers robots.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/21 9:27 AM, wrote:
On 2/26/21 9:01 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

In a lot of places that just reflects the job market. If there are no
jobs requiring the skills to earn more money, you are not going to
make more money. Telling an employer he needs to lose money to hire
someone makes him question how many he will hire.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/26/21 9:27 AM, wrote:
On 2/26/21 9:01 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

Dont need to have done it personally.

Surely you have evidence to back up your statement.

Yep, those that do fine as cooks, waiters,
gardeners, cleaners etc etc etc.

Maybe $5 is enough for them?

I've hired people like that and though limited did a fine job and were
reliable. No need to starve them.

No one starves in the first and second
world except the bulimics and anorexics.

And the poor that go to bed hungry and the homeless.

The only ones that go to bed hungry are those
stupid enough to spend on illegal drugs instead.

Just as true of the homeless, tho most of those
are who we used to keep in locked wards.

If you cannot pay $10 today you don't deserve to be in business.

Thats bull**** too.

What is a fair pay?

No such animal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 26, 2021 at 2:47:32 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Sometimes the minimum skilled jobs are really necessary and should pay
more. Take the garbage collection. Not much skill to drive the truck
and pick up the cans.

Bad example They could be making $40,000-$70,000 a year depending on
where they are, plus bennies.

It does all depend on where one lives. I would guess that in some
cities of California or New York the 40 to 70 thousand may put one on
the lower pay scale. Where I live that would be a very good paying job.
The average wage is mostly under $ 18 per hour.

What is difficult is that I guess many things cost the same in all parts
of the country not counting the homes and taxes.

It used to be that grocery stores around here hired people from 16 to 20
years old to stock the shelves and bag groceries. We even carried them
to the cars and put them in the cars. Now there are some that just
operate the cash registers and put the groceries in the bags. The fast
food places hired the same age group for most of the jobs. Now those
jobs are taken over by grown ups that are trying to make a living at it.

Yeah. I can't remember which downturn it was (1992?) that I first saw
some gray-haired old man working at McDonald's. It was kind of sad.
He definitely looked like he'd been downsized from a real job and was
at the end of his rope.

Cindy Hamilton