Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Anti-Static Spray For Cutting Vinyl?

On 2/25/2021 11:41 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 10:12:46 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 2/24/2021 9:38 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Anyone that has cut vinyl trim or vinyl plank flooring with a power
tool knows how much of a mess it makes. Little shards of vinyl
cover everything from your clothes to your tools to the walls of
your shop. The miter saw is the worst.

Has anyone tried using anti-static spray on anything and everything
that it might stick to? The goal would be for it to not stick but drop like
sawdust. Obviously (like sawdust) there will some "stick" but hopefully
the mess would be less.

I've got a bunch of vinyl flooring to cut this weekend (cross and rip)
and I'm not looking forward to the mess.

Do you have a shop vac attached to your miter saw?

Other wise you might rent one of those tools that is designed to cut
products like that. No dust at all when chopping to length.

Yes, I have dust collection on the miter saw but we all know that miter
saws don't have great aim. ;-) I've modified my Bosch glide saw with a
larger dust collection chute which helps, but it's still a miter saw.

Well this would likely be and issue even with the Kapex. :~)

I have a canvas bag under the table saw and have sealed up as many gaps
as possible, but there is no powered dust collection.

I have been in your spot with the PVC trim. I would say the best bit is
to simply bite the bullet and do all of your cutting and then clean up
with a shop vac. ONE time.