Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Anti-Static Spray For Cutting Vinyl?

Anyone that has cut vinyl trim or vinyl plank flooring with a power
tool knows how much of a mess it makes. Little shards of vinyl
cover everything from your clothes to your tools to the walls of
your shop. The miter saw is the worst.

Has anyone tried using anti-static spray on anything and everything
that it might stick to? The goal would be for it to not stick but drop like
sawdust. Obviously (like sawdust) there will some "stick" but hopefully
the mess would be less.

I've got a bunch of vinyl flooring to cut this weekend (cross and rip)
and I'm not looking forward to the mess.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/24/2021 9:38 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Anyone that has cut vinyl trim or vinyl plank flooring with a power
tool knows how much of a mess it makes. Little shards of vinyl
cover everything from your clothes to your tools to the walls of
your shop. The miter saw is the worst.

Has anyone tried using anti-static spray on anything and everything
that it might stick to? The goal would be for it to not stick but drop like
sawdust. Obviously (like sawdust) there will some "stick" but hopefully
the mess would be less.

I've got a bunch of vinyl flooring to cut this weekend (cross and rip)
and I'm not looking forward to the mess.

Do you have a shop vac attached to your miter saw?

Other wise you might rent one of those tools that is designed to cut
products like that. No dust at all when chopping to length.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 10:12:46 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 2/24/2021 9:38 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Anyone that has cut vinyl trim or vinyl plank flooring with a power
tool knows how much of a mess it makes. Little shards of vinyl
cover everything from your clothes to your tools to the walls of
your shop. The miter saw is the worst.

Has anyone tried using anti-static spray on anything and everything
that it might stick to? The goal would be for it to not stick but drop like
sawdust. Obviously (like sawdust) there will some "stick" but hopefully
the mess would be less.

I've got a bunch of vinyl flooring to cut this weekend (cross and rip)
and I'm not looking forward to the mess.

Do you have a shop vac attached to your miter saw?

Other wise you might rent one of those tools that is designed to cut
products like that. No dust at all when chopping to length.

Yes, I have dust collection on the miter saw but we all know that miter
saws don't have great aim. ;-) I've modified my Bosch glide saw with a
larger dust collection chute which helps, but it's still a miter saw.

I have a canvas bag under the table saw and have sealed up as many gaps
as possible, but there is no powered dust collection.

I guess I could rent a cutter for the cross cuts, but ripping the vinyl is going
to make a mess inside the TS as well as out. Not that I want to make the extra
trips and pay the rental cost. With my luck, the cutter would be defective and
I'd lose half the day running around town. :-0

I'll probably just put up with the mess. I've got a shop lab coat that I can throw
on and off so I'm not tracking chips through the house after each cut. I'm doing
a small bathroom that's going to require more cut pieces than full pieces. I've got
it laid out on paper so I should be able to do the majority of the cuts at one time
but I know it's going to take multiple trips to and from the saws.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Feb 2021 19:38:46 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Anyone that has cut vinyl trim or vinyl plank flooring with a power
tool knows how much of a mess it makes. Little shards of vinyl
cover everything from your clothes to your tools to the walls of
your shop. The miter saw is the worst.

Has anyone tried using anti-static spray on anything and everything
that it might stick to? The goal would be for it to not stick but drop like
sawdust. Obviously (like sawdust) there will some "stick" but hopefully
the mess would be less.

I've got a bunch of vinyl flooring to cut this weekend (cross and rip)
and I'm not looking forward to the mess.

I've had to break up a lot of Styrofoam packing material to try to get
it into as small of a volume possible to fit in the garbage. Styrofoam
makes a true mess. It literally climbs right out of the waste can. I
wouldn't even think about using a miter saw on it. ;-/

That said, have you tried laundry products?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I hadn't considered putting vinyl plank in my washer or dryer. That type
of interior design element isn't for me. ;-)

I could try wiping the miter saw body with a dryer sheet, but I was thinking
more of something like this, although I don't know if the residue is good for
the tools.

https://www.target.com/p/static-guar...z/-/A-13294243

Like I said earlier, I'll probably just put up with mess.

It won't be this weekend though. The bathroom that I'm working on is
in my basement and the clean out for the main drain is in that room.

I just found out that the town is going to save me $2600 by putting a
CIPP sleeve in my drain pipe. I have some root intrusion and got some
estimates to seal a gap between the drain pipe that I own and the town's
clean out in the front yard.

One of the estimators said that if the town caused the problem, they
should pay for it. He suggested that I give them a call before hiring
anyone. I called the town, they put a camera down the drain and said
"Yep, that's our problem. It's happening all over town. We'll be out next
week to patch it for you."

The ironic part is that they added the clean outs in the front yard about 10
years ago so that they didn't have to come into private homes any more.
If you had a blockage, they would use their clean out to snake the pipe from
the clean out to the sewer main. If that didn't help, it was the homeowner's
responsibility to clean the pipe from the house to the town's clean out. The
thing is, the junction that is failing is where they attached the PVC clean out
to our transite pipes. They can't get to that junction except through the
in-house clean out. So instead of eliminating the need to come into our
houses, they still have to come in to clear the roots and in some cases,
like mine, install a sleeve to the tune of a couple of thousand dollars.

That's our tax dollars at work!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

That's more or less what I was suggesting. Try it on the area and see
if there is any residue. There usually isn't. Sticky stuff in
clothes is frowned upon.

[...]

Nah, it sounds like work. That's not government.

The saying in VT (and I'm sure elsewhere) is that the DOT invented a
new tool that'll save 90% of its construction cost - a shovel that
stands on its own.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/25/2021 11:41 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Well this would likely be and issue even with the Kapex. :~)

I have a canvas bag under the table saw and have sealed up as many gaps
as possible, but there is no powered dust collection.

I have been in your spot with the PVC trim. I would say the best bit is
to simply bite the bullet and do all of your cutting and then clean up
with a shop vac. ONE time.