Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default switching electricity supplier without internet / smartmeterinstall

On 24/02/2021 10:11, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Theo wrote:
They are quite keen on monthly readings.Â* I'm assuming they can be
provided by phone, but would the OAP in this case be happy to read their
meter every month?Â* I have on occasion forgotten (when they didn't send
a reminder) and the bill was estimated, so maybe it's OK not to provide
every month?

That could well be a problem. Not all meters are situated where they are
easy to read for an old person. And phoning them in - given how long you
usually have to wait to get through - a PITA.

Thanks folks.

It's looking like she'll have to get a smartmeter fitted, and I'll have
to run emails for her just to do the tariff switch. We will insist on
paper billing though.

She (90+, hearing issues) has written a letter to the current supplier,
and asked why they just can't switch her to their advertised cheapest
rates without "asking stupid questions".

I can understand her wish for independence but suspect it'd be cheaper
to have an online account where you print and post the bills.

And just in case you have not spotted it, some tariffs exclude
telephone support - though whether they'd enforce that for a
nonagenarian is another matter.

It's one small example of where an heir-and-a-spare may prove to have
been one of the sensible investments I never made

--
Robin