Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default A lamp blew and then...

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 17:09:59 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

Took ages to
arrive from the Netherlands. And is ES only. Eventually sourced ES pendant
lamp holders that take an ordinary lampshade - thanks to here.

I eventually bought some Arlec branded (while plastic) ones and they
were quite cheap.

I still need to do the two ceiling fan / lamps and have looking at my
spare and believe there are two screw-in lamp fitting types, 1/2" and
10mm thread. I need to get the verniers on one of the actual light
fittings (in case the spare isn't the same spec) and then I should be
able to replace the BC for ES fitting directly / easily, making the
smart lamp sit higher then I can design and print a shade for them
(whilst I might be able to get the smart lamp in the glass globe or
could turn an adaptor ring to drop the globe down a bit, I don't want
to run the LED lamp hot and so want a shade that allows good / natural
convection cooling).

snip

So instead of a couple of quid for a replacement lamp, it's cost me
getting on for 100 quid. It will be a long long time before I save that in
electricity costs.

Assuming it lasts etc [1] ... but hey, you can't take it with you. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] I had one of those Philips CFL's in a glass jar for probably 16
years (I normally write the purchase date on them with a CD marker
pen). It was on every night between ~dark and after midnight on a time
switch (which may have gone towards it lasting well)?