Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A lamp blew and then...

Kitchen has florries under the cupboards. Downlighters lighting the rest
of the worktops. A central pendant light over the table. All incandescent.
A 4 gang light switch at the door with three touch dimmers and a switch
for the florries.

The pendant light has a 4" Decorlamp 100w - BC. Which has blown. And NLA.
A halogen GLS lamp produces rather unpleasant patterns on the walls
through the lampshade. And looks very fierce viewed through the lampshade.
The large opal original was fine.

So let's find an LED to replace it. Not from TLC etc, and I want a 100w
equivalent.

Eventually find what look like should be OK from Any Lamp BV. Took ages to
arrive from the Netherlands. And is ES only. Eventually sourced ES pendant
lamp holders that take an ordinary lampshade - thanks to here.

Of course the touch dimmers are tungsten only. And don't want a mixture of
dimmers.

So make up a 4 gang plate with three push button trailing edge V-Pro and a
matching switch for the florries. And because of max load per dimmer have
to change the downlighter tungsten to LED too.

So instead of a couple of quid for a replacement lamp, it's cost me
getting on for 100 quid. It will be a long long time before I save that in
electricity costs.

--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Quite a few globe lamps here (pages 2 and 3 mainly):
https://www.energybulbs.co.uk/collections/globe-bulbs

All ES, of course. Are there any BC lamps sold now? I seem to have
accumulated umpteen unused BC compact fluorescents over the years, but
none of the lamp holders we have are BC, they are all ES. I looked in
Wilko for an an adapter yesterday, as they are shown on their website.
But there were none in the shop. I'll have to get to TLC, or some from
Amazon or wherever. Not expensive, but the P&P adds a good percentage of
the overall cost.

I'll probably have to replace our 30-years old Philips 115mm globe
compact fluorescent in a few years, but at present it still seems as
good as it always was.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:

Are there any BC lamps sold now?

Despite IKEA's best attempts to make ES rule supreme, I presume most are
still BC ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Did want it dimmable, though. Took ages to find what I wanted - hence it
coming from abroad. Not fired it up yet to see if it is exactly what I
want, though.

All ES, of course. Are there any BC lamps sold now? I seem to have
accumulated umpteen unused BC compact fluorescents over the years, but
none of the lamp holders we have are BC, they are all ES. I looked in
Wilko for an an adapter yesterday, as they are shown on their website.
But there were none in the shop. I'll have to get to TLC, or some from
Amazon or wherever. Not expensive, but the P&P adds a good percentage of
the overall cost.

Didn't want an adaptor as it would lower the bulb in the shade.

I'll probably have to replace our 30-years old Philips 115mm globe
compact fluorescent in a few years, but at present it still seems as
good as it always was.

--
*Xerox and Wurlitzer will merge to market reproductive organs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/2021 18:58, Andy Burns wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:

Are there any BC lamps sold now?

Despite IKEA's best attempts to make ES rule supreme, I presume most are
still BC ...

I see some of those lamps on the energybulb webpages I linked to are BC/B22.

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 17:09:59 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

Took ages to
arrive from the Netherlands. And is ES only. Eventually sourced ES pendant
lamp holders that take an ordinary lampshade - thanks to here.

I eventually bought some Arlec branded (while plastic) ones and they
were quite cheap.

I still need to do the two ceiling fan / lamps and have looking at my
spare and believe there are two screw-in lamp fitting types, 1/2" and
10mm thread. I need to get the verniers on one of the actual light
fittings (in case the spare isn't the same spec) and then I should be
able to replace the BC for ES fitting directly / easily, making the
smart lamp sit higher then I can design and print a shade for them
(whilst I might be able to get the smart lamp in the glass globe or
could turn an adaptor ring to drop the globe down a bit, I don't want
to run the LED lamp hot and so want a shade that allows good / natural
convection cooling).

snip

So instead of a couple of quid for a replacement lamp, it's cost me
getting on for 100 quid. It will be a long long time before I save that in
electricity costs.

Assuming it lasts etc [1] ... but hey, you can't take it with you. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] I had one of those Philips CFL's in a glass jar for probably 16
years (I normally write the purchase date on them with a CD marker
pen). It was on every night between ~dark and after midnight on a time
switch (which may have gone towards it lasting well)?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Kitchen has florries under the cupboards. Downlighters lighting the rest
of the worktops. A central pendant light over the table. All incandescent.

The only CFLs here for some time have been in the attic, and for the
couple of minutes per month they're on can stay that way.

So a carrier bag of incandescent G23s, GU10s, MR12s, SES candles and
"free" CFLs is waiting for chucking out, all that's left in the spare
box are two oven lamps and a one halogen BC22.