Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default switching electricity supplier without internet / smartmeterinstall

On 23/02/2021 12:49, Davidm wrote:

I've been with them for 4 years (even after searching alternatives
each year). You have to ask them about what new tariff they have for
next year, don't just accept their change to standard tariff.

Just request a new quote on-line to see their latest offer.

They seem to introduce a new 1 year fixed price tariff each month and
when prices are falling the new contracts can be cheaper than the one
you are on. As Avro have no penalties for early termination of a
contract I swapped to one of their cheaper deals mid contract. I've just
started my 3rd contract with them. Strangely Avro are not being shown
for me in the cheap energy club list nor can I update my tariff
information on that site as my Avro tariff (and some previous tariffs)
are not listed.
They are however paperless billing and during this lockdown customer
service is a bit slow with replying to questions.
They also require a DD in advance and the DD is a fixed amount every
month, based on the annual usage data you give them. They require a
meter reading each month - in my case supply the meter reading by the
9th of the month and my on-line bill will show this amount, usually by
the 12th of the month. I have missed a few readings when on holiday
etc. and the bill is estimated for that month.

Confirmed that they don't do smart meters yet, but have been warned by
whoever it is that's responsible for smart meter roll out.

They have been forced to join the smart meter scheme but having one is
not a condition of having a contract with them.