Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default USB power question

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
It's very common for motherboards to power USB ports when the computer
is shutdown, as long as power is going to the PS. The PS would normally
have an output labelled +5VSB or similar.

It looks to be a 'relatively' recent thing. The old MB fitted to that
computer didn't. But luckily there is a way to turn it off.

Define relative :-)

My 9 year old Gigabyte MB supports what it calls, "On/Off Charge
Technology", where it "allows you to charge your iPhone, iPad and iPod
Touch regardless of whether your PC is on, in standby mode or even off".

Not really sure the age of the original Asus. It certainly started off
with XP, before going to Win7. Couldn't get it to work with Win10 hence
changing to an all singing and dancing Gigabyte. And now I've got on top
of the various things needed to get it to do what the old MB did, performs
rather well. Still find the BIOS settings anything but intuitive, though.
With the handbook not much help.

--
*I got a job at a bakery because I kneaded dough.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.