Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default How about those add-on Wixey height gauges

On 2/23/2021 10:01 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/21/2021 7:50 PM, Bob D wrote:
On Sunday, February 21, 2021 at 12:43:38 PM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be
really nice if its repeatable. Wixey makes add-on guages for both
applications. Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

Another alternative.

https://www.igagingstore.com/12-Abso...S-p/205480.htm

Interesting, but...Â* here is the warranty statement on their website:

"This site and the materials and products on this site are provided
"as is" and without warranties of any kind"

At least they're honest.Â* I hate trying to get a warranty replacement
and they start by putting you on hold with horrendous loud tiny music
for an hour, then a non-english speaking clown gets on asking for
receipts and all that rot.

Anyhow, I do have a Wixy angle gauge.Â* I though it would be good for
checking for 90 degrees, and maybe setting up some angles on things.
Works OK but the first thing I did is check all my tools for 90 degrees.
Â*All were already within the margin of error of the gauge. Next, I
found out the battery went dead just sitting there (I seldom use it.)
Now, I take the battery out of it when I'm done, so now the battery last
years.Â* I have the same problem with a cheap digital caliper that eats
the battery when not in use.

Sometimes I wonder if battery makers don't sponsor this crap.

Sooooo I had battery issue with my "tilt box" style angle gauge. Mine
came in a protective vinyl pouch that fit snugly.

I found that the stitching in the pouch was pressing the "on" button in
some way. Leaving the gauge out of the pouch extended and or putting
the gauge in the pouch in a different direction significantly extended
battery life.

And my digital caliper does pretty well, the battery in it lasts a good
year or more.

BUT as you say, removing the battery after use does extend the life of
the battery.