Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default USB power question

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

On the PC desktop here (Gigabyte MB) the USB power is on at all
times the PC is plugged into the mains. The separate web cam has a
couple of LED indicators. I assume this is under BIOS control, but
can't find a setting. But then the BIOS uses all sort of acronyms I
don't understand.

Any easy way of disabling this? So USB power only comes on when I
boot the PC?

YouTube came up with a gigabyte specific video straight away when I
entered "turn off powered USB"

Have you also banned yourself from dealing with Google?

:-p

I generally can't be bothered with videos. Prefer text.

But thanks for the heads up. Turns out you have to enable ERP. Whatever
that is. Obviously just me, but I'd expect any such settings to be in
the
USB section of the BIOS.

ERP is the directive that states how efficient computers should be in in
their "off" state. So is the place to find settings for reducing power
consumption by disabling USB ports (and other devices) when off.

Ah - thanks for that. Personally. I'd expect to need to enable USB ports
being live at all times, rather than it being the default. Doubt many use
a desktop to charge their phone. ;-)

Plenty. including me, have used them for charging other
low power stuff like headsets etc tho. I don’t any since I
have changed over to those magnetic things, mainly to
keep the lightning port on the 6S blocked so it doesn’t
get fluff and dirt in it in your pocket. I used to use a little
rubber plug but those arent available anymore for some
reason and are fiddly to remove and replace every time
you charge the phone and easy to lose. The magnetic
thing stays in the port forever and the other magnet
snaps on when you want to charge the phone.

It comes with all the 3 connectors so I have the micro
usb in the headset now and charge it the same way, using
the phone charger, but I did use the PC USB previously.
Same with the cordless keyboard.