Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard[_10_] Richard[_10_] is offline

Default USB power question

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Ah - thanks for that. Personally. I'd expect to need to enable USB ports
being live at all times, rather than it being the default. Doubt many use
a desktop to charge their phone. ;-)

Very common in offices, mostly while the machine is running (24/7)

It wouldn't matter if the PC is on 24/7. ;-)

The non-technical think it's a charger socket - its only function.
(well, those enamoured by the cool slide-out cup-holder...)

My new laptop - rather pricey too - hasn't got one of those. Or any
'ordinary' UBS. Or rather one via an adaptor. Had to buy extra.

Had you bought smart in the first place...

The IT department on the other hand, think it a broken socket & virus
security risk, so use can be disabled in BIOS, windows group policy,
jumpers, disconnecting wires and hot-melt glue!

I did try and get Windows to do what I wanted. No luck. Hardly a surprise.

Beginning to see a pattern with the problems.