Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default USB power question

In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 22/02/2021 09:14, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
The whole point though is for that to also be a charger, though I have to
say I'm not greatly impressed with their efficiency.

To support the ATX soft start button and wake-on-LAN features, PCs
have long offered a permanent 5V standby supply.

Yes.

So this USB powering thing is using something that was already there
as an independent subsystem. This would be as efficient as a typical
plug-in wall adapter (I'd hope).

But if you'd something like an external HD plugged into USB, does it
make sense for it to be powered 24/7?

USB-powered external HDDs will usually enter sleep mode. If your webcam
doesn't perhaps that's because it consumes negligible power when not in
use. What do the specifications say?

Dunno. It was more the 'power on' LEDs on the front of it that annoyed.
Since I have two different OS computers on this workstation, and only the
PC uses the web cam. But there were a couple of other externals with power
LEDs too, normally left plugged in.

PS
I routinely leave my phone charging from a PC overnight when speed is
not of the essence.

My mobile stays in the kitchen when I'm in - more of a landline type.
So I provided one of those sockets with USB power for it and other things
at a convenient place on a worktop. At least I then know where it is when
going out. ;-)

--
*Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.