Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default USB power question

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 22/02/2021 09:14, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
The whole point though is for that to also be a charger, though I have to
say I'm not greatly impressed with their efficiency.

To support the ATX soft start button and wake-on-LAN features, PCs have
long offered a permanent 5V standby supply.

Yes.

So this USB powering thing is using something that was already there as
an independent subsystem. This would be as efficient as a typical
plug-in wall adapter (I'd hope).

But if you'd something like an external HD plugged into USB, does it make
sense for it to be powered 24/7?

USB-powered external HDDs will usually enter sleep mode. If your webcam
doesn't perhaps that's because it consumes negligible power when not in
use. What do the specifications say?

PS
I routinely leave my phone charging from a PC overnight when speed is
not of the essence.

--
Robin