Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkieİ Tekkieİ is offline

Default shovelling snow

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 15:51:38 -0500, micky posted for all of us to digest...

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 20 Feb 2021 02:29:32 -0500,
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Feb 2021 19:36:39 -0600, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 08:29:52 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 8:01:24 PM UTC-5, Snag wrote:

On the rare occasions I need to move snow , I much prefer to use my
yard tractor with the 48" blade on the front ...

Nice. Our yard tractor isn't quite powerful enough for that. We did the
math on buying a bigger tractor. I figured we'd just save the money
toward hiring it done when I get too feeble to use the snowblower. We'll
probably phase it in: do it myself for up to 6 inches and hire someone to
do it for anything deeper than that. Then after a while just sit in the
house and watch someone else do it all.

Not as much fun as hiring landscapers. The snow-removal guys have to
keep their shirts on.

If you need a specific behavior, just make it a business requirement. You
may have to pay a little extra.

Landscapers here are generally latino and they wear long pants and
long sleeve shirts. They understand keeping the sun off of you is
better than taking your shirt off. I guess living at real low
latitudes makes you smarter about the heat.

I'd much rather be cold than hot. With cold you can put on more clothes.
There's an absolute limit to how much you can take off.

A friend of mine who did something in the construction or the design
area told me he was volunteering for Habitat for Humanity that was
rehabbing some houses on the west side of Baltimore. He wanted to help
but he also said he might make contacts and find work too.

So I said I wanted to volunteer too, and we met there and were assigned
to the same house (I think they were doing more than one, I forget), and
we were indoors ripping out old plumbing etc., nothing skilled, and I
lasted until about noon, and it was hot, and I was indoors, and I took
my shirt off. And soon after he called me aside and said it didn't
look good. He said it was "unproffessional". I said, "I'm not a
professional."

He thought because he'd brought me, I was making him look bad. So I
left.

So you ran when the going got tough... Better with a shirt on. As I'm sure
others will tell you.

--
Tekkie