Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How about those add-on Wixey height gauges

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 23:08:56 -0600, gray_wolf
wrote:

On 20/02/2021 5:08 pm, Leon wrote:
On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be really nice
if its repeatable.* Wixey makes add-on guages for both applications.* Does
anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

I put one on my 15" Delta planer 10+ years ago..* Fit is crotchety and would get
hung up.
I would not buy another one of those.

I am looking closely at the Wixey remote digital readout however and may get one
for my new
jointer/planer.

I would rather have a mechanical gauge.* They attach to the elevation crank
wheel rod.* It counts revolutions and parts of a revolution.

Backlash? Stiction? I'd rather measure the business end than somewhere
between the hand and the tool. Power tool gearboxes (other than CNC,
obviously) just aren't designed for precision.

There is one offered for my model in Europe but I would want imperial vs metric.

The top dog is: https://www.starrett.com

Maybe I'm blind but I don't see the equivalent of the Wixey tools. I
might go that way if they did, though Starrett is way overpriced for
woodworking.