Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Burke[_3_] Peter Burke[_3_] is offline

Default Choice of fixing - PB

JohnP wrote in
:

100% YES!!!

Avpx

Thnaks Brian, ARW and Nomad. Yes of course - tighten the machine screw
to spread the anchor then slacken it.

I would advise investing in the setting tool they do a much better job and
aren't that expensive, this one 12.99:

https://www.toolstation.com/rawlplug...ng-tool/p76505

Pull until they _just_ pinch, no more, beware overtightening the screw.

The fixings aren't generally that well made and the threads will tend to
strip out if you use the screw to set them, def don't use a drill driver to
set them via the screw. I also use an hand screwdriver to start the screws
in the thread and for the final tighten, better feel. Failed fixings need
drilled out which can get messy so avoid.

Watch out also for certain sizes of fixing having long unsplit sections of
shank below the flange, they're meant for thicker boarding or through
fixture fitting and they won't grip properly on regular 8 or 12mm board.
Toolstation's range are particularly bad for this with random sizes being
long shank and not mentioned in the description. I don't have any reject
packs handy to advise but perhaps buy a few adjacent sizes and return the
unsuitable ones.