Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Choice of fixing - PB

What fixing do you recommend in a plasterboard wall there it is not
possible to tighten the screws as the item need to slot onto it with
keyhole slots?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:

What fixing do you recommend in a plasterboard wall there it is not
possible to tighten the screws as the item need to slot onto it with
keyhole slots?

How about those grip-it fixings, the body fits within a drilled hole to
take the weight, the wings rotate behind to clamp the PB from both
sides, then insert screw leaving enough proud for the keyhole to fit onto?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2021 17:15, JohnP wrote:
What fixing do you recommend in a plasterboard wall there it is not
possible to tighten the screws as the item need to slot onto it with
keyhole slots?

Is this 'spur' shelving, or one of the copycat products ?.

These are intended for heavy loads. Plasterboard won't
support it.

I once bought some element32?? uprights because they were
cheaper than Spur, but although the spur brackets would fit
into the slots, the depth of the non-Spur upright was less
than a proper spur upright, making it impossible to move the
upright down to the horizontal position without munging two
gouges out of the plaster.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote in news:s0rl6f$i89$1
@gioia.aioe.org:

On 20/02/2021 17:15, JohnP wrote:
What fixing do you recommend in a plasterboard wall there it is not
possible to tighten the screws as the item need to slot onto it with
keyhole slots?

Is this 'spur' shelving, or one of the copycat products ?.

These are intended for heavy loads. Plasterboard won't
support it.

I once bought some element32?? uprights because they were
cheaper than Spur, but although the spur brackets would fit
into the slots, the depth of the non-Spur upright was less
than a proper spur upright, making it impossible to move the
upright down to the horizontal position without munging two
gouges out of the plaster.

No - it is an illuminated mirror needing 4 screws. Normally a tight screw
provides some surface friction between the wall and the fitting that
absorbs some of the downward force. I can't get at the screws once mounted
so it is not possible to fully tighten them, Similar issue with other
items.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There used to be fastenings that had a flange and you tightened against
this, which left a small space between the flange and the head of the
device. I have this name in my head something like fastbrolly.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"JohnP" wrote in message
. ..
What fixing do you recommend in a plasterboard wall there it is not
possible to tighten the screws as the item need to slot onto it with
keyhole slots?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2021 19:42, JohnP wrote:
[...]

My approach in such cases tends to have been to make a larger hole and
shove great gobs of car body filler thorough the holes and when set sand
and paint to match the wall and then make the screw holes

--
€śProgress is precisely that which rules and regulations did not foresee,€ť

€“ Ludwig von Mises
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/02/2021 17:15, JohnP wrote:
What fixing do you recommend in a plasterboard wall there it is not
possible to tighten the screws as the item need to slot onto it with
keyhole slots?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-...tool-kit/903kk

and then depending on the depth of the plasterboard

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-h...-10-pack/12229

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-...ting-tool-kit/

903kk

and then depending on the depth of the plasterboard

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-h...ors-8-16mm-m5-

x-52mm-10-pack/12229

100% YES!!!

Avpx

--
No wizard would normally dream of giving a colleague a leg up unless it
was in order to catch them on the hop.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
[...]

With a light item like this where it is unlikely to have any extra load on
it - like say a shelf would - ordinary wall plugs should be quite ok.

--
*It doesn't take a genius to spot a goat in a flock of sheep *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

100% YES!!!

Avpx

Thnaks Brian, ARW and Nomad. Yes of course - tighten the machine screw to
spread the anchor then slacken it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 17:15:30 GMT, JohnP wrote:

What fixing do you recommend in a plasterboard wall there it is not
possible to tighten the screws as the item need to slot onto it with
keyhole slots?

If it's not hugely heavy I use screw in plasterboard fixings - google
easyfix-self-drill-plasterboard-fixings
Screwfix stock them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 20/02/2021 17:15, JohnP wrote:
What fixing do you recommend in a plasterboard wall there it is not
possible to tighten the screws as the item need to slot onto it with
keyhole slots?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-...tool-kit/903kk

and then depending on the depth of the plasterboard

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-h...-10-pack/12229

The snag with those here is they never seem to have the correct diameter
of the machine screw for the slot. Or the head is wrong. But maybe just
me. ;-) I can usually find a wood screw in my box which is perfect.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2021 17:15, JohnP wrote:
What fixing do you recommend in a plasterboard wall there it is not
possible to tighten the screws as the item need to slot onto it with
keyhole slots?

Why not use the type that use machine screws and a deformeable metal
plug? Fit, tighten, remove the screw, put a nut on it, screw the screw
to the required depth and use the nut to lock it tight to the wall fixing?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 20/02/2021 17:15, JohnP wrote:
What fixing do you recommend in a plasterboard wall there it is not
possible to tighten the screws as the item need to slot onto it with
keyhole slots?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-...tool-kit/903kk

and then depending on the depth of the plasterboard

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-h...-10-pack/12229

The snag with those here is they never seem to have the correct diameter
of the machine screw for the slot. Or the head is wrong. But maybe just
me. ;-) I can usually find a wood screw in my box which is perfect.

I suppose I am lucky as I have

https://www.bapp.co.uk/index.html

round the corner from home and round the corner from the office.

I have sometimes had to buy new bolts for the things I am fitting for
the reasons you have given.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Feb 2021 at 12:08:11 GMT, ""Dave Plowman" News)"
wrote:

In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 20/02/2021 17:15, JohnP wrote:
What fixing do you recommend in a plasterboard wall there it is not
possible to tighten the screws as the item need to slot onto it with
keyhole slots?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-...tool-kit/903kk

and then depending on the depth of the plasterboard

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-h...-10-pack/12229

The snag with those here is they never seem to have the correct diameter
of the machine screw for the slot. Or the head is wrong. But maybe just
me. ;-) I can usually find a wood screw in my box which is perfect.

They're standard metric screws available in an infinite variety of lengths,
materials and heads. For small quantities Ebay is a reasonable source.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote in
:

100% YES!!!

Avpx

Thnaks Brian, ARW and Nomad. Yes of course - tighten the machine screw
to spread the anchor then slacken it.

I would advise investing in the setting tool they do a much better job and
aren't that expensive, this one 12.99:

https://www.toolstation.com/rawlplug...ng-tool/p76505

Pull until they _just_ pinch, no more, beware overtightening the screw.

The fixings aren't generally that well made and the threads will tend to
strip out if you use the screw to set them, def don't use a drill driver to
set them via the screw. I also use an hand screwdriver to start the screws
in the thread and for the final tighten, better feel. Failed fixings need
drilled out which can get messy so avoid.

Watch out also for certain sizes of fixing having long unsplit sections of
shank below the flange, they're meant for thicker boarding or through
fixture fitting and they won't grip properly on regular 8 or 12mm board.
Toolstation's range are particularly bad for this with random sizes being
long shank and not mentioned in the description. I don't have any reject
packs handy to advise but perhaps buy a few adjacent sizes and return the
unsuitable ones.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 20/02/2021 17:15, JohnP wrote:
What fixing do you recommend in a plasterboard wall there it is not
possible to tighten the screws as the item need to slot onto it with
keyhole slots?

Why not use the type that use machine screws and a deformeable metal plug?
Fit, tighten, remove the screw, put a nut on it, screw the screw to the
required depth and use the nut to lock it tight to the wall fixing?

But then the nut gets in the way of the keyhole slots.

Combi-Boiler Choice- ?Alpha any good John Powell UK diy 53 April 4th 04 03:29 AM
Choice of garage heater PoP UK diy 3 November 27th 03 12:18 AM
new boiler choice simon beer UK diy 14 November 18th 03 12:18 AM
New TV aerial choice? David Cawkwell UK diy 24 November 13th 03 12:55 PM
Choice of dovetail jig Rick UK diy 15 November 8th 03 03:58 PM