Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Electrics to garage

On 20/02/2021 12:44, Davidm wrote:
On Fri, 19 Feb 2021 17:06:07 +0000, ARW
wrote:

On 19/02/2021 16:30, Andy Burns wrote:

TimW wrote:

are car batteries going to have a fast charge facility. That's going
to take a lot of power, what sort of wattage might I need in the next
20 years?

Unless you're going to spend six-figures on an EV, I'd say 7kW should
cover what you'll need for charging.

I am generally fitting 40A supplies to garages now on newbuilds/rewires.

32A for the charger (even though it might be 10 years away) and the
spare 8A for the other stuff.

The extra cost of the thicker cable when doing the install is very little.

A single cable, or separate for the 32A and 8A?

What size cable if the
garage is about 50m away from the house CU?

A 40A or 45A supply to a separate DB.

At 50m then 16mm (a guess based on experience) or subject to calcs 25mm
for a 63A supply (I am guessing the 16mm will drop more than 3% at 63A)

--
Adam