Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT What a jenny

wrote
Rod Speed wrote
wrote
Rod Speed wrote
wrote
Jim Joyce wrote

I borrowed $40K for college and my wife borrowed $35K.
For both of us, the loans have been paid off long ago, but
the experience leads me to believe that, depending on
specific requirements and restrictions, higher education
should be free*, just as formal K-12 education is free*.

I disagree, although the solution I propose might be just as
expensive.

From what I can see, most high schools push nearly all their students
to what we used to call the college-prep track, and have gutted the
"industrial arts" programs. Bring back the idea that high schools
prepare
their students for what they'll actually face when they leave. Some
students will go to a four-year university. Most students will
require
some additional education, including two-year programs, vocational
training, and apprenticeships (I can hear everybody laughing).

Additionally, make that additional education more affordable. Public
universities need to keep their undergraduate tuition in check. For
advanced degrees in practical subjects--especially medicine and
dentistry--a system of subsidy in return for post-graduation work in
areas where their skills are most needed.

But people tend not to value things that they get for free.
Make those kids pay _something_ for their higher education,
but not so they leave school with crushing debt.

Why does that make sense for higher education but not school education ?

The people who need it the most put the least value on K-12 education
too.

But we don't in fact see those whose parents pay for their school
education
value it more than those in the same social class who get it for free.

Everyone that is not on welfare pays for that education,
either in direct property taxes or buried in their rent.

Not those that get free accommodation from the work etc
or those whose parents etc pay the property taxes.

And its irrelevant to what we are discussing anyway,
whether paying for something directly has an effect
on whether they value that education.