Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default OT What a jenny

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 19 Feb 2021 06:08:58 -0500, micky
wrote:

Missing from all of those schools is some kind of metal working class. You
get a little of that in an auto shop class, but not enough to make it
somewhat equivalent to what they teach in wood shop. I still use what I
learned in the mechanical drawing classes some 40 years ago. Before I build
a woodworking project, my weekend hobby, I draw the front, side, and top
views that I learned in mechanical drawing. I sometimes draw the 3D
perspective angle, but it's not usually needed.

We had woodshop and something about drafting in the 7th grade, I suppose
for a whole year. I remember that the drafting tables were built at the
prison in Pendleton Indiana.

My mother wanted a shoe rack that didn't have round dowels to hold the
shoes. She used it for 38 years. I have it now.

We had metal shop and a little printing in the 8th grade. I was going
to make a centerpunch or nailset but didn't finish. I still have that
and it's useful. For printing, each kid was supposed to bring in a
recipe, print it on 3x5 cards, and each of us got a set of them. Those
I don't have and I don't think my mother saved them either.

I looked on the JHS website but it didn't say anything about specific
classes.

I took autoshop as a senior, instead of 4th year Latin. Definitely a
full-year course, so the others probably were too.

This was, btw, the richest school district in Indiana, the north
sububurbs of Indianapolis. "Richest" is not saying a lot, in terms of
richness, but there were very few people who were poor, and the rate of
going to college was 60, 70, 80%.

Other than Catholic schools, I'm 90% sure there was only one private
girls school and one private boys school in town, and they were small.
Just about everyone except many Catholics went to public school. I
don't know what percent of Catholics did... I'd see three or 4 with
ashes on their forehead on Ash Wednesday. Maybe some took the whole
day off?

The webpage now says they serve breakfast every day, but I don't think
60 years ago there would have been anyone eating breakfast at school.
Even now, I don't know how that would work since the area is big, the
school bus got us there only a few minutes before class (but enough that
a shuttle bus could take high school students to the HS, 10 or 15
minutes away. Myabe that's when they eat breakfast)

I never noticed anyone drive their kid to school or pick him up, unless
maybe someone had a dentist's appointment. In high school a lot of
kids had cars. A friend had his wheels stolen while in the HS parking
lot, but only heard of that once. He didn't have a fancy car.