Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Chopping kindling on hard standing - axe protector?

On Fri, 19 Feb 2021 12:28:49 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 12/02/2021 12:45, David wrote:

Yebut.

I already have a stock of very dry split logs.

I also have a bomb, wedges, club hammer, maul, felling axe, chainsaw,
log stand.....

So, take your chainsaw, and go cut a lump of full round timber from a
tree, and use that as your chopping block.

Ideally make it long enough you can bury one end in the ground, to give
you a plinth you can work at without stooping over.

(a bit of 4x4" fence post would probably do at a pinch)

Electric chain saw.

No easy access to wood to cut anyway.

Oh, and I need it to work on block paving so no burying.

Overall hassle factor would make it cheaper to but a ready cut trunk with
flat ends (see price in OP).

I was just looking for something very simple which didn't involve going
out to hunt the dead tree.

Also, I could no doubt manufacture something but am up to my neck in can't-
be-arsed at the moment so I was just looking for a simple, cheap, ready
made solution.

Like a block of rubber (my first thought).

I think that relatively thin bits of wood (plank off-cuts or old chopping
boards) would be very likely to split along the grain after only a short
battering.

My main requirements are minimal size, minimal effort to obtain, and
easily stowed out of the way.

As I said earlier my stock of useful off-cuts, wood scraps and the like
went through the fire a year or so back.

The list of what I already have was an attempt to head off the multiple
attempts to persuade me to buy them.

Cheers

Dave R