Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Flex Products

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 9:49:20 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 22:22:59 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/15/2021 7:51 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 10:48:12 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, February 15, 2021 at 1:23:31 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 14:57:04 -0600, Francis S
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 15:19:59 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 14 Feb 2021 14:22:22 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/14/2021 2:17 PM, Mario wrote:
Anyone use any of the Flex products such as Flex Glue and Flex Seal?
Does that stuff really work?

My son has a pool business. He has used the Flex Seal a couple of times
and said it works. No idea how long it will last though.

No doubt long enough to shoot a commercial but I wouldn't take that
screen door boat out far from shore.

I've been curious to pick up some Flex Seal and test it myself.
Haven't actually followed through though. Would be curious to see how
it holds up long time.
This stuff is basically Petroleum Asphalt (pitch) in a solvent carrier
and I suspect as it dries out it will get brittle and crack.
(basically lose it's flex)
That is the same problem you have with tar based roof cement. Once the
solvent carriers boil away it shrinks and gets brittle.
YMMV based on sun, heat and exposure to the elements.

I suspect you're wrong about that too. It looks more like an RTV type product
to me. You'd have to be nuts to base a product like that on crude asphalt today
when so much better solutions are available that will actually work.

Read the MSDS and get back to me.

Depends on the product.
I don't see pitch on it. Don't recognize the chemicals aside from
carbon black.
https://images.homedepot-static.com/...15fb993b0a.pdf

This one does have asphalt.
http://www.haywood.k12.nc.us/mainten...rochem-Mfg.pdf

No asphalt here
https://static-assets-solatube.s3.am...ng-sealant.pdf

Trade Name: AV-248 Flexseal
Ingredient (s):
Dibutyl Maleate Percent: 35-50
CAS Number: 105-76-0
OSHA PEL: N/A ACGIH TLV: N/A
Poly(oxyalkylene) Polyol Percent: 30-50

This is the one I was talking about

http://www.haywood.k12.nc.us/mainten...rochem-Mfg.pdf

From all that I see, that is not the product that we're talking about, ie the one sold on
TV as a flex sealant, that they used to make a boat, etc. Your link is to a chem company
in CA that appears to have a product by the same name. Here is the MSDS from HomeDepot
for the TV Flex Seal and it's formulation is totally different, synthetic.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/...15fb993b0a.pdf

Which seems very logical to me, you're not going to put a boat together with ashphalt
cement, but it's certainly possible with modern RTV or similar sealants.