BillP

Default CH/HW emergency - Help !!

"Steve Wilson" wrote in message
om...
I've just drained my central heating system down and fitted a trendy
new designer radiator. It looks fantastic, but has left with me with
some practical problems - I can't bleed the air out of the upper floor
radiators and I have no hot water !
The radiator is one of the tall helical "Hot Springs" models, but is
the required 2 foot below the expansion tank, so that can't be the
issue.
I have 2 draincocks in the garage - the one that I used definitely
drained the radiators, but could it also have drained the hot water
cyclinder? There seems to be less water than these should be getting
to the pump (and slackening the bleed screw produces neither air nor
water. I can't find any means of bleeding air from the cyclinder.
I can't understand why the air won't bleed out of the upstairs
radiators. They seem to be partially filled, but don't seem to want
any more water (there is plenty in the expansion tank, I've checked).
Any suggestions gratefully and desperately received - the thought of
calling out the plumber to fix my DIY is too embarassing to
contemplate !
Thanks in advance,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Do the pipes for the upper floor radiators rise out of the floor, or fall
from the ceiling above. Unlikely, but, if they do fall from the ceiling
above then are there any high point manual bleeds in the loft?

Make sure that any Zone valves are manually opened.

Your header tank is full. Shut off the main water supply, open a drain off
and let out a load more water. Take another look at the header tank. Has it
emptied? If not then you have a blockage in the feed pipe.

Bill.