Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chopping kindling on hard standing - axe protector?

On 11/02/2021 20:38, newshound wrote:

I havn't tried a bomb; provided you have slices without too many knots
I find a proper splitting axe

aka as 'maul'. I've still got the scars from using one near someone's
washing line. It caught the line recoiled, and missed my eye by half an
inch...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck...lb-3-6kg/87268

That is my tool of choice for splitting logs. I also use it on the back
side with a pineapple shaped/bomb log splitter. It is a bit overkill.

I only split for the wood burning stove, or when I don't have enough
kindling

+1

Most of the time I use deadwood branches that drop off my trees after a
period of storage in the dry. But a few small pieces are handy.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown