View Single Post
  #63   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster

Default Automatic table saw emergency stop

ALAN....Find yourself a 1950's....cast-iron-top....Sears/Craftsman, 10 inch table saw.....even if its from a junk yard. You may have to discard the bent-up sheet metal 'box support structure' and make your own out of plywood. I pulled one of mine (I have three, my father's (bought new....early 1950's)....one I bought on Craig's List, same vintage... and a $30 flea-market find....banged up sheet metal base....no problem....needs a plywood box.... and recently another one ....just the iron top and guts....pulled from the curb on trash day...needs support/etc. All of these are 1950's-70's vintage, mechanically identical....just gussied up trim. More recently I pulled a banged up one from the curb....out for trash....same model. I replaced the bent sheet metal support structure (literally dropped at the curb) with a plywood box, cleaned and greased the bearings (easy to replace even if they're shot or rusty) runs like a charm. The guts of these vintage ones are tough. I don't know if newer or current Sears ones are as beefy as those from the late 40's-60's. Consider checking out a cabinet shop's equipment.....in addition to their commercial machines, a lot of them have a classic Sears Craftsman or two set up for light cuts, small runs or specific blade types.....as time savers. Good luck. PMH

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...p-3092324-.htm