Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default OT: Coldest UK temperature for ten years....

Andrew wrote:
On 11/02/2021 08:23, Andy Burns wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:

Jeff Layman wrote:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/polar-vortex-prairies-record-low-temperatures-1.59052380

That link was dead. Spot the difference:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/polar-vortex-prairies-record-low-temperatures-1.5905238

Spot what matters:

http://cbc.ca/news/p-1.5905238

And Paul says his gas boiler is (was) broke, so he is heating
by electric !

No, it's fixed :-)

It's running right now, as I type.

Across the country, temperatures range from 0C to -33C
tonight, -7C in Newfoundland (Gulf Stream). For me, it
will be around -20C or so, pretty normal for this time of year.
The track record for me this winter is "warmer than normal"
by quite a bit. I get the impression only a
portion of the Vortex has got me.

Sometimes the Arctic region is warmer than the Prairies.
Iqaluit is -18C or -19C or so right now. Not nearly as
cold as those CBC articles.

I usually expect two days of -26C here, for the winter to
be normal, and the best time for such days was two or three
weeks ago.

The climate is warming up, because new regions are
opening to tourism in the Arctic. And some of the
native peoples are using large motor boats to
go to fishing camps in the summer, in their shirt
sleeves. They can't necessarily gather traditional
foods because of the change in ice conditions.

But in the winter, they'll still be back on Skidoos.
As long as the areas they sled, hold together. Part of the
reason for this activity, is food from the outside world
is quite expensive, and if you had any ordinary sort of
job, you couldn't afford to eat. This would be food
that comes in by plane.

They fixed the train line up to Hudsons bay, so those
people might have their connection back to civilization
again. We have lots of hard cases, places getting
fuel by barge once a year, and so on. Not everyone
sits in a warm warm room like me right now :-)

The people in Fort Chip, the ones that got the
huge solar array, even though the latitude doesn't
make sense for it, those people are freezing their
asses off :-) Minus 37C last night. I hope those
panels can take -37C without cracking. There would
have been a good many wood fires last night and
pot belly stoves. The chief wasn't standing around
for promo pictures last night.

https://i.cbc.ca/1.5807746.160575622...allan-adam.jpg

Paul