Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Coldest UK temperature for ten years....

.... is barely mentioned (-17°C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

--
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools.

Herbert Spencer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

... is barely mentioned (-17°C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

global cooling due to no air travel less car usage etc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2021 12:31, Chris Hogg wrote:
La Niña

el camino
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2021 12:13, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 12:03:30 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

... is barely mentioned (-17°C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

Quite.

IIRC a few weeks ago we both predicted it was going to be cold...

Can occur when there is a La Nina event in the pacific, which
started late last year.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2021 12:18, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
... is barely mentioned (-17°C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

global cooling due to no air travel less car usage etc

Fire up that Mustang and get driving Jim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

... is barely mentioned (-17°C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

It's always cold in the Scottish Highlands !!

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ate=2021-02-09

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Tue, 09 Feb 2021 12:31:31 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 12:18:31 +0000, "Jimmy Stewart ..."

... is barely mentioned (-17°C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

global cooling due to no air travel less car usage etc

Nah! La Niña.

I don't do foreign names.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

... is barely mentioned (-17°C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

-17? Almost tropical...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/polar-vortex-prairies-record-low-temperatures-1.59052380

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Tue, 09 Feb 2021 12:53:13 +0000, Andrew wrote:

... is barely mentioned (-17°C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

It's always cold in the Scottish Highlands !!

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ate=2021-02-09

What we want is a nice re-activated volcano in the lake district, we could
tap it for energy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Tue, 09 Feb 2021 13:18:07 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Tue, 09 Feb 2021 13:04:40 +0000, jon wrote:

On Tue, 09 Feb 2021 12:53:13 +0000, Andrew wrote:

... is barely mentioned (-17°C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

It's always cold in the Scottish Highlands !!

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...st/gfkgdgj2j#?

date=2021-02-09

What we want is a nice re-activated volcano in the lake district, we
could tap it for energy.

Weren't they playing with geothermal energy up in the NE a few years ago
?

Many seem to have dabbled, but no headline news yet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2021 12:31, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 12:18:31 +0000, "Jimmy Stewart ..."

... is barely mentioned (-17°C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

global cooling due to no air travel less car usage etc

Nah! La Niña.

yup. its also v cold N america

--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2021 13:36, jon wrote:
On Tue, 09 Feb 2021 13:18:07 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Tue, 09 Feb 2021 13:04:40 +0000, jon wrote:

On Tue, 09 Feb 2021 12:53:13 +0000, Andrew wrote:

... is barely mentioned (-17°C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

It's always cold in the Scottish Highlands !!

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...st/gfkgdgj2j#?

date=2021-02-09

What we want is a nice re-activated volcano in the lake district, we
could tap it for energy.

Weren't they playing with geothermal energy up in the NE a few years ago
?

Many seem to have dabbled, but no headline news yet.

If it made remote economic sense it would have been done years ago.
waiting for government subsidies

--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2021 13:04, jon wrote:
On Tue, 09 Feb 2021 12:53:13 +0000, Andrew wrote:

... is barely mentioned (-17°C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

It's always cold in the Scottish Highlands !!

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ate=2021-02-09

What we want is a nice re-activated volcano in the lake district, we could
tap it for energy.

Sellafield ?. Plenty of useful decaying heat there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2021 15:21, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 09 Feb 2021 14:40:07 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 09/02/2021 13:36, jon wrote:
On Tue, 09 Feb 2021 13:18:07 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Tue, 09 Feb 2021 13:04:40 +0000, jon wrote:

On Tue, 09 Feb 2021 12:53:13 +0000, Andrew wrote:

... is barely mentioned (-17°C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

It's always cold in the Scottish Highlands !!

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...st/gfkgdgj2j#?
date=2021-02-09

What we want is a nice re-activated volcano in the lake district, we
could tap it for energy.

Weren't they playing with geothermal energy up in the NE a few years
ago ?

Many seem to have dabbled, but no headline news yet.

If it made remote economic sense it would have been done years ago.
waiting for government subsidies

I think the danger is that you end up - like Iceland - providing it to
everyone at very low prices. And we all know that just isn't how we like
to do things in England.

No, that isn't the danger.

Iceland has a low population and active volcanoes.

geothermal simply doesn't work here.

I think the pipes from Battersea power station to all those council
flats still exist...that was free energy...

But the greens have ensured that London has no power stations left. Not
even waste burners.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I think the pipes from Battersea power station to all those council
flats still exist...that was free energy...

Still supplying district heat

https://www.westminster.gov.uk/news/celebrating-pimlico-district-heating-undertaking-and-seasonal-switch
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2021 15:34, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I think the pipes from Battersea power station to all those council
flats still exist...that was free energy...

Still supplying district heat

https://www.westminster.gov.uk/news/celebrating-pimlico-district-heating-undertaking-and-seasonal-switch

way too sensible. lets hope the Greens don't hear of it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2021 13:36, jon wrote:
[...]

If the suppliers can turn it off, they'll charge for it.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2021 13:03, Jeff Layman wrote:
... is barely mentioned (-17°C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

-17? Almost tropical...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/polar-vortex-prairies-record-low-temperatures-1.59052380

That link was dead. Spot the difference:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/polar-vortex-prairies-record-low-temperatures-1.5905238

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

... is barely mentioned (-17°C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

minus 6c here last night...bloody Baltic ! ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 08:17:17 +0000, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:

... is barely mentioned (-17°C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

minus 6c here last night...bloody Baltic ! ...

It is -0.6C here with the sun out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

... is barely mentioned (-17C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

Quite.

IIRC a few weeks ago we both predicted it was going to be cold...

Good to see Turnip still takes 'global warming' as only referring to his
back garden.
The original Little Englander.

--
*I was once a millionaire but my mom gave away my baseball cards

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Coldest UK temperature for ten years....

That was in Scotland was it? A lot of course is made worse by the wind chill
effect, so it could feel like -30. Certainly here if I move the sensor to a
windy spot a couple of years ago although it was only -5, it read -12.
People forget how dangerous a wind can be when its cold. Remember that old
black and white Open University program where this poor young lady was
drenched clothed then put in a glass topped box with air that was only
moderately cold until she was visibly shivering with an in ear thermometer
until it dropped just half a degree then they had to get her out and wrap
her in a silver blanket.
It certainly got the message over about going out unprepared for the
weather.
Brrr.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
... is barely mentioned (-17C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

--
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill
the world with fools."

Herbert Spencer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

... is barely mentioned (-17°C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

Funny papers and new websites are full of stories about the cold, Beast
from East II, coldest winter for a decade etc.

Both lefty and righty sites.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

... is barely mentioned (-17°C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

Correct me if I'm wrong (as I'm sure you will), but I have always
thought that the main, and worst, effect of global warming (which is a
fact[1]) is nothing to do with newspaper headline-grabbing high
temperatures[2] (or indeed low ones), but the fact that a couple of
degrees in *average*, *global* temperatures causes wildly unpredictable
weather patterns.

Which is what causes Beasts from the East, forest fires, floods, melting
ice caps etc., and consequent disaster.

John

[1] Yes, it's clearly a fact. And Yes, unstable weather during a
particular century of human existence is a grain of sand in the history
of the Earth and its climate. so we shouldn't get so hot and bothered
(no irony intended). But if mankind can do something about that, let him
try to do so.

[2] I'm sure you know this too, TNP, and I'm always surprised to see you
using the "logic" of the pig-ignorant journalists, who may know, but
certainly do not care, that "global warming" doesn't actually mean
growing dates in your back garden in Aberdeen, but rather, means the
instability that may bring you a heat wave in March, and months-long
downpours with dirty grey skies, throughout summer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Another John" wrote in message
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

... is barely mentioned (-17°C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

Correct me if I'm wrong (as I'm sure you will), but I have always
thought that the main, and worst, effect of global warming (which is a
fact[1]) is nothing to do with newspaper headline-grabbing high
temperatures[2] (or indeed low ones), but the fact that a couple of
degrees in *average*, *global* temperatures causes wildly unpredictable
weather patterns.

Yes you are wrong about that. Its just another stupid claim.

Which is what causes Beasts from
the East, forest fires, floods,

Nope.

melting ice caps etc.,

Nope, that is due to higher than average temperatures there.

and consequent disaster.

[1] Yes, it's clearly a fact.

Bull**** it is.

And Yes, unstable weather during a particular century
of human existence is a grain of sand in the history of
the Earth and its climate. so we shouldn't get so hot
and bothered (no irony intended). But if mankind
can do something about that, let him try to do so.

Pity about the wasted stupid cost.

[2] I'm sure you know this too, TNP, and I'm always surprised to see
you using the "logic" of the pig-ignorant journalists, who may know,
but certainly do not care, that "global warming" doesn't actually mean
growing dates in your back garden in Aberdeen, but rather, means the
instability that may bring you a heat wave in March, and months-long
downpours with dirty grey skies, throughout summer.

We are much more likely to get that due to non man
made events and get to like those or lump them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2021 22:10, Another John wrote:
[2] I'm sure you know this too, TNP, and I'm always surprised to see you
using the "logic" of the pig-ignorant journalists,

I was merely using their logic to show that in one case they reported
it, and in another they didn't

I am surprised that you thought my post was about 'global warming' when
it was clearly an ironic comment on journalism bias .

who may know, but
certainly do not care, that "global warming" doesn't actually mean
growing dates in your back garden in Aberdeen,

well in fact it does. Or at least grapes in Scandinavia and barley in
Greenland as happened in the MWP

but rather, means the
instability that may bring you a heat wave in March, and months-long
downpours with dirty grey skies, throughout summer.

Well no it doesn't mean that at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2021 23:06, Tim Streater wrote:
On 10 Feb 2021 at 22:10:15 GMT, Another John wrote:

In article ,
[...]

I think the salient point here is that all of these things have happened
before, and certainly within living memory. You, and others, appear to imagine
that the temperate winters we had in the 90s or so mean that without climate
change we'd have had them ad inifinitum? Forgotten the 1963 winter freeze
already? Snow on boxing day and below-zero temps from then until mid-March?
Forgotten 2013 already, when the temperature stayed around zero all through
March and April? Floods, you say? Forgotten the great winter freeze and flood
in East Anglia on 1947? Forgotten the Linton/Lymouth flood disaster of 1952 or
so?

Indeed. Arguably weather is getting less extreme, if anything.
And really it was warmer in the 1930s than it is now, except in airports
and cities, where they have stuck the thermometers

The interesting thing is that remote thermometers that haven't been
changed in 60 years stuck out well away from civilization show no
warming at all....

all women"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:

Jeff Layman wrote:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/polar-vortex-prairies-record-low-temperatures-1.59052380

That link was dead. Spot the difference:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/polar-vortex-prairies-record-low-temperatures-1.5905238

Spot what matters:

http://cbc.ca/news/p-1.5905238

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 12:31:44 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile cretin's latest troll**** unread

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arguably weather is getting less extreme, if anything.
And really it was warmer in the 1930s than it is now, except in airports
and cities, where they have stuck the thermometers

The interesting thing is that remote thermometers that haven't been
changed in 60 years stuck out well away from civilization show no
warming at all....

It's thought to be the unstated reason why 75% (possibly 5000?) of the
GHCN's network of thermometers have been taken off the data supply,
leaving only those that support the narrative of 'global warming'.

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 08:23:56 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Vir Campestris wrote:

Jeff Layman wrote:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...rtex-prairies-

record-low-temperatures-1.59052380

That link was dead. Spot the difference:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...rtex-prairies-

record-low-temperatures-1.5905238

Spot what matters:

http://cbc.ca/news/p-1.5905238

Oh dear not a vortex....but not shedding.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 11 February 2021 at 09:38:21 UTC, Spike wrote:

Arguably weather is getting less extreme, if anything.
And really it was warmer in the 1930s than it is now, except in airports
and cities, where they have stuck the thermometers

The interesting thing is that remote thermometers that haven't been
changed in 60 years stuck out well away from civilization show no
warming at all....

It's thought to be the unstated reason why 75% (possibly 5000?) of the
GHCN's network of thermometers have been taken off the data supply,
leaving only those that support the narrative of 'global warming'.

--
Spike

This is just a lie on a lie. Numerous studies, including ones with a 'sceptical' origin, have shown that rurally sited thermometers show warming, and it's not as if there isn't considerable effort in siting and bias correction to account for urban heat islands. It is of course easy to find individual thermometers that show you any trend you want by cherry picking localities - but aggregate lots of data and the message is consistent.

As for 75% (possibly 10,000) GHCN thermometers being offline? Another obvious and simplistic lie. For a start GHCN contains data from over 100k stations, not the 14k that is implied. Active daily readings are received from over 20k stations. The data can be reviewed and inspected so the implication that sites are removed for 'unstated' reasons is rhetoric. And GHCN is just one line of evidence for global warming - we have satellite measurements, observation of melting glaciers, sea level rise, simple physics. In fact one study looked at over 170 diffrent surrogates for temperature - things like coral growth, isotopic composition of water - guess what? Confirmed the trends.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2021 11:27, Andy McKenzie wrote:
[...]

I suggest you go to te root research and re=thgen read what I siad
carefully.

Its not just rural siting, its that the same thermometer is in use in te
same way.

And it hasn't been 'normalised'

Or changed from '#average' to 'halfway between daytime high and night
time low'

Yuss ffolks. One man with a portable Dyson hairdrier can create a
'record temperature' in a town near you...

Teh raw satellite record shows bugger all warming going on.

As for 75% (possibly 10,000) GHCN thermometers being offline? Another
obvious and simplistic lie. For a start GHCN contains data from over
100k stations, not the 14k that is implied. Active daily readings are
received from over 20k stations. The data can be reviewed and
inspected so the implication that sites are removed for 'unstated'
reasons is rhetoric. And GHCN is just one line of evidence for global
warming - we have satellite measurements, observation of melting
glaciers, sea level rise, simple physics. In fact one study looked at
over 170 diffrent surrogates for temperature - things like coral
growth, isotopic composition of water - guess what? Confirmed the
trends.

I think you should check your facts agian

--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2021 08:23, Andy Burns wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:

Jeff Layman wrote:
*

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/polar-vortex-prairies-record-low-temperatures-1.59052380

That link was dead. Spot the difference:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/polar-vortex-prairies-record-low-temperatures-1.5905238

Spot what matters:

http://cbc.ca/news/p-1.5905238

And Paul says his gas boiler is (was) broke, so he is heating
by electric !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

"The Global Historical Climatology Network Daily database, GHCN-D,
contains meteorological measurements from over 90,000 stations across
the globe. The *majority* of station records contain *precipitation*
*data* *only*, however other key variables including maximum
temperature, minimum temperature, snowfall, cloudiness, wind speed and
snow depth are available at many locations".

As for 75% (possibly 10,000) GHCN thermometers being offline? Another obvious and simplistic lie. For a start GHCN contains data from over 100k stations, not the 14k that is implied. Active daily readings are received from over 20k stations. The data can be reviewed and inspected so the implication that sites are removed for 'unstated' reasons is rhetoric. And GHCN is just one line of evidence for global warming - we have satellite measurements, observation of melting glaciers, sea level rise, simple physics. In fact one study looked at over 170 diffrent surrogates for temperature - things like coral growth, isotopic composition of water - guess what? Confirmed the trends.

A 46-second animation of the Great Cull, covering 1914 - 2014:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNMgqnUEMGM

This sort of thing makes interesting reading:

"The only conclusion can be that GHCN stations hundreds of miles away,
and outside of the Arctic region, have been used for homogenisation. And
here lies the problem is there any reason why we would expect climate
in, for instance, Britain to follow the same pattern as Iceland or
Greenland?

Certainly not according to the experts, as this paper AN ANALYSIS OF
ICELANDIC CLIMATE SINCE THE NINETEENTH CENTURY by Hanna, Jonsson & Box,
published in 2004 showed.

They had this to say:

The warming was non-uniform in time, occurring in three distinct phases,
approximately from 1880 to 1900, from 1925 to 1940, and from 1983 to
2001. Warming was most rapid in 191933, reaching the maximum
temperatures over the entire record in 1939 and 1941. The northwestern
European records surveyed do not indicate any significant trends over
the 190130 standard period, whereas Icelandic trends are highly
significant , somewhat indicating a decoupling between the Icelandic and
northwestern European climates."

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

... is barely mentioned (-17°C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

The Beeb is now reporting -23°C in Braemar last night, the lowest
February temperature since 1955!

Well, that's global warming for you :-)

Well I did sort expect it - La Niña and all that - had to order another
£800 of oil.

Hope that lasts till spring

Its ****ing cold

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

... is barely mentioned (-17°C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

The Beeb is now reporting -23°C in Braemar last night, the lowest
February temperature since 1955!

Well, that's *climate change* for you :-)

FTFY
--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:

Jeff Layman wrote:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/polar-vortex-prairies-record-low-temperatures-1.59052380

That link was dead. Spot the difference:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/polar-vortex-prairies-record-low-temperatures-1.5905238

Spot what matters:

http://cbc.ca/news/p-1.5905238

And Paul says his gas boiler is (was) broke, so he is heating
by electric !

No, it's fixed :-)

It's running right now, as I type.

Across the country, temperatures range from 0C to -33C
tonight, -7C in Newfoundland (Gulf Stream). For me, it
will be around -20C or so, pretty normal for this time of year.
The track record for me this winter is "warmer than normal"
by quite a bit. I get the impression only a
portion of the Vortex has got me.

Sometimes the Arctic region is warmer than the Prairies.
Iqaluit is -18C or -19C or so right now. Not nearly as
cold as those CBC articles.

I usually expect two days of -26C here, for the winter to
be normal, and the best time for such days was two or three
weeks ago.

The climate is warming up, because new regions are
opening to tourism in the Arctic. And some of the
native peoples are using large motor boats to
go to fishing camps in the summer, in their shirt
sleeves. They can't necessarily gather traditional
foods because of the change in ice conditions.

But in the winter, they'll still be back on Skidoos.
As long as the areas they sled, hold together. Part of the
reason for this activity, is food from the outside world
is quite expensive, and if you had any ordinary sort of
job, you couldn't afford to eat. This would be food
that comes in by plane.

They fixed the train line up to Hudsons bay, so those
people might have their connection back to civilization
again. We have lots of hard cases, places getting
fuel by barge once a year, and so on. Not everyone
sits in a warm warm room like me right now :-)

The people in Fort Chip, the ones that got the
huge solar array, even though the latitude doesn't
make sense for it, those people are freezing their
asses off :-) Minus 37C last night. I hope those
panels can take -37C without cracking. There would
have been a good many wood fires last night and
pot belly stoves. The chief wasn't standing around
for promo pictures last night.

https://i.cbc.ca/1.5807746.160575622...allan-adam.jpg

Paul