Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chopping kindling on hard standing - axe protector?

On 11/02/2021 20:38, newshound wrote:
On 11/02/2021 16:25, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

My search skills, as usual, aren't getting me the results that I want.

Any suggestions and lateral thinking most welcome.

I just use the hard standing and a bomb

vertical thinking...

-&-

Wasn't there some machine thing from Aldi that split logs?

They use screw or hydraulic machines "in the trade", IIRC the Aldi and
other "domestic" machines are considered slow and under-powered.

I havn't tried a bomb; provided you have slices without too many knots I
find a proper splitting axe

aka as 'maul'. I've still got the scars from using one near someone's
washing line. It caught the line recoiled, and missed my eye by half an
inch...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck...lb-3-6kg/87268

does the job. (Not a felling axe, which is
what I started with before I knew any better, simply because it was the
only type stocked in my local store).

The bomb doesn't need so much space to swing. I use it with a club hammer

https://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck...splitter/51334

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson...lb-2-0kg/9413v

its cheaper too...
....If you have the hammer already

In all cases with gnarly knotty grain forget splitting and use the chainsaw

My open fires will take unsplit logs so that's where THAT lot ends up

I only split for the wood burning stove, or when I don't have enough
kindling

--
€œIt is not the truth of Marxism that explains the willingness of
intellectuals to believe it, but the power that it confers on