Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Chopping kindling on hard standing - axe protector?

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 16:43:29 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

David wrote:
Further to the tinkering with my log burner I think that although it
will burn the big bits that I have, it may need more small bits to get
going and up to temperature quickly.

If youre needing kindling it may well be that your logs are too moist.

snip loads of stuff unrelated to the question

The wood is very dry and in big chunks.

If I stuff one or two fire lighters in there than it usually goes pretty
quickly.
However I am experimenting on lighting without using fire lighters.

I have noted that big solid blocks of wood are reluctant to burn straight
off (applying a weed burner as a heat source) but that if there are a few
small bits of kindling the whole thing takes off with a vengeance.

I am also considering as noted above that I think it may be more effective
to start with some small pieces to get a good set of embers going then put
the larger pieces on later.

Wood only burns at the surface, so chunky logs burn for a long time but
all that wood in the middle doesn't contribute to the fire for some
considerable time.

So small pieces to start are required.

I have noted that even a few small bits of wood - mere splinters - are
often enough to get the larger bits of wood blazing away merrily. I assume
some kind of wicking effect.

Cheers

Dave R