Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chopping kindling on hard standing - axe protector?

On 11/02/2021 13:34, David wrote:
Further to the tinkering with my log burner I think that although it will
burn the big bits that I have, it may need more small bits to get going
and up to temperature quickly.

My log store (builder's bag) is under cover on hard standing and I no
longer have a section of trunk as a chopping base.

I see that you can buy a length of trunk for £20-£40 on line but I would
prefer something more discreet, ad I am likely to be splitting small
chunks into kindling using a hand axe and club hammer.

I just use a hand axe for making kindling and hit it more or less with
the right strength to go just through in one or with one tap of wood on
the ground. I accept the odd ground strike onto concrete since it
happens so rarely. I only use kindling for starting the fire since once
it is going I stuff the biggest pieces that will fit in as infrequently
as possible.

In the longer term I could possibly ask my wood supplier if they could
include a chopping block in the next load but that might be next Winter.

A solid block of rubber about 12" x 12" x 2" would seem to fit the
requirement for a solid base, edge protection for the axe, and easy
stowing when not in use.

Any old offcut of 1+" thick wood or plastic would do at a pinch if you
are worried about blunting your axe. I have a lump that I could use but
normally I don't bother.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown