Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Coldest UK temperature for ten years....

On 10/02/2021 23:06, Tim Streater wrote:
On 10 Feb 2021 at 22:10:15 GMT, Another John wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

... is barely mentioned (-17°C)

Now if it had been the warmest...

Correct me if I'm wrong (as I'm sure you will), but I have always
thought that the main, and worst, effect of global warming (which is a
fact[1]) is nothing to do with newspaper headline-grabbing high
temperatures[2] (or indeed low ones), but the fact that a couple of
degrees in *average*, *global* temperatures causes wildly unpredictable
weather patterns.

Which is what causes Beasts from the East, forest fires, floods, melting
ice caps etc., and consequent disaster.

John

[1] Yes, it's clearly a fact. And Yes, unstable weather during a
particular century of human existence is a grain of sand in the history
of the Earth and its climate. so we shouldn't get so hot and bothered
(no irony intended). But if mankind can do something about that, let him
try to do so.

[2] I'm sure you know this too, TNP, and I'm always surprised to see you
using the "logic" of the pig-ignorant journalists, who may know, but
certainly do not care, that "global warming" doesn't actually mean
growing dates in your back garden in Aberdeen, but rather, means the
instability that may bring you a heat wave in March, and months-long
downpours with dirty grey skies, throughout summer.

I think the salient point here is that all of these things have happened
before, and certainly within living memory. You, and others, appear to imagine
that the temperate winters we had in the 90s or so mean that without climate
change we'd have had them ad inifinitum? Forgotten the 1963 winter freeze
already? Snow on boxing day and below-zero temps from then until mid-March?
Forgotten 2013 already, when the temperature stayed around zero all through
March and April? Floods, you say? Forgotten the great winter freeze and flood
in East Anglia on 1947? Forgotten the Linton/Lymouth flood disaster of 1952 or
so?

Indeed. Arguably weather is getting less extreme, if anything.
And really it was warmer in the 1930s than it is now, except in airports
and cities, where they have stuck the thermometers

The interesting thing is that remote thermometers that haven't been
changed in 60 years stuck out well away from civilization show no
warming at all....

all women"