Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Automatic table saw emergency stop

On Mon, 08 Feb 2021 12:07:40 -0000, fred wrote:

On Friday, February 5, 2021 at 7:10:12 PM UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 04 Feb 2021 20:52:16 -0000, alan_m wrote:

On 04/02/2021 19:23, Commander Kinsey wrote:

I removed mine, otherwise how the hell do you cut thicker wood? I just
keep my fingers a good distance from the blade. I don't cut tiny things
with a huge saw.

I have removed the blade guard on mine for cutting thicker wood but I
also have a second, cut down, riving knife just a tiny bit shorter than
the blade that I always fit for this type of cut. The riving knife that
came with the saw is taller than the blade - because the blade guard
fits to the top of it.

Sounds like your saw is better designed. My knife is lower than the blade, and the guard attaches to it, so you can only use about half the available blade to cut unless you remove the guard, since the bolt for the guard stops the wood going through. What they could have done is make the guard adjustable, so it's possible to get wood through that's the full height of the blade. Even then, you might want to cut halfway through some much thicker wood (although that's probably unsafe!)
One form of kickback (there are others demonstrated on many table saw
safety videos)
https://youtu.be/u7sRrC2Jpp4?t=147

Yeowch! I was wondering who you could get kickback in that direction.

Somewhere on Youtube is a demonstration of another form of kickback on a
table saw where the wood goes through a plasterboard partition wall.

Those plasterboard walls amuse me, until I need to remove one and get dust everywhere. My friend once lost his temper with his brother and tried to punch him. His brother moved and his fist went straight through the wall. Plasterboard is cheap crap that should never have been invented. It's also presumably very flammable, being basically two layers of paper with dust glued inbetween. Might aswell live in a mud hut.

My sister-in-law once threw a heavy brass candle stick at her beloved, missed him, and punched a hole in the hollow core door. Lucky she didn't hit him

I have a hole in a door when I punched it when I got sacked. I have a damaged metatarsal bone where I punched my computer chair when my parrot wouldn't stop making a noise.