Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Workbench Height - At the Wrist. Good Idea?

On 1/30/2021 8:38 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, January 30, 2021 at 9:18:05 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 1/29/2021 10:38 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, January 26, 2021 at 4:19:13 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've been doing some reading about the proper workbench height. A lot
of sources say that for "general work" the proper height is right at the wrist
level of the user. Adjustments are made from there for specific types of
work.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Vx94zSkRWBU/maxresdefault.jpg

If you were going to build a general purpose workbench for a new homeowner,
would you follow the wrist height rule? The person I have in mind is not a
woodworker. She knows which end of a screwdriver to use, but she might not
always use the right bit. ;-)

The workbench is done. My daughter drove at least 80 of the 100+ screws used.
I took over when her hand started cramping up. ;-)

It turns out that my guess at a good height for her 5'-1" frame was just right, at l
east for now. The work surface is at 32".

She is pretty proud of her handy work.

https://i.imgur.com/5WJjvFh.jpg

Thanks for all the ideas.

Is that cherry? What color are going to paint it. GOOD JOB!

The hardest part was not getting frustrated at how gentle she
was when driving the screws. She would drive them real slow
and then stop when they bottomed out. She really wasn't driving
them home. I just bought her the drill for Christmas so she hasn't
had a lot of practice.

Impact drive should be next on the gift list. ;~)

She's going shopping with SWMBO soon so I'm going to crank them all down
after she leaves. Between the brackets and the screwed down shelf and bench
top it's very solid, but I know that some of the bracket screws are barely tight.

Then it's on to installing the garbage disposal, the pots and pans drawers in the
base cabinets and a couple of new switches. (It looks like I measured the cabinets
correctly the last time I was here so I'm pretty sure that the drawers should fit just
fine. I hope.)

Fingers Crossed!

There's no 3-way switch for the 2nd floor hallway light. Just a 2nd floor switch.
Lutron has a Caseta line of wireless switches that has some good reviews. I plan
to replace the 2nd floor switch with the Caseta receiver switch and mount the
remote switch at the bottom of the stairs. They use Decora style wall plates, so
they will match the rest of the switches in her house. I really don't want to pull
wires in 1935 plaster & lath house.

https://www.casetawireless.com/

That looks pretty cool, kind's like a wireless door bell switch.