Posted to alt.home.repair
bud-- bud-- is offline

Default 12vdc car battery charger

On 1/28/2021 7:52 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 20:55:13 -0600, bud-- wrote:

On 1/27/2021 12:18 AM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 21:51:55 -0800, Bob F wrote:

On 1/26/2021 7:36 PM, rbowman wrote:

I don't have that brand but it does have a feature older chargers don't:

https://www.chargingchargers.com/tut...sulfation.html

That link is pushing their own chargers but the technology is the same.

Reports are that the "pulse tech" charging concept is nonsense.

Also from Home Despot

Internet #310342966
Model # HW6000015

50/10/2 amp analog $68

I have not seen a reliable source that says pulse desulfation works.

A source I think is reliable for all types of batteries is battery
university

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/sulfation_and_how_to_prevent_it
which says
"Several companies offer anti-sulfation devices that apply pulses to the
battery terminals to prevent and reverse sulfation. Such technologies
will lower the sulfation on a healthy battery, but they cannot
effectively reverse the condition once present. Its a €śone size fits
all€ť approach and the method is unscientific."

--------------------
Comments?

Note what it says - Such technologies will lower the sulfation on a
healthy battery.

So the idea is sound - and it DOES work - to a point. Once a battery
is SEVERELY sulphared, virtually NOTHING will remve the sulphate.
Pulse charge can extend the life of a battery that has been left
partially charged for a little longer than it should have been but it
can't "raise the dead"

IMHO it is implied that pulse chargers are more effective than they
actually are.
Patents tend to claim that their pulse process is better than all the
other processes. Hype - they can't all be better.

I suggest a 3-stage charger
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IUoU_battery_charging
"The purpose is to fully charge the battery in a relatively short time
without reducing its life span and to indefinitely keep the battery
charged as long as the charger is connected."

I have a couple of them
Schummacher SSC-1000A
Schummacher SC-1200A
The second one was too cheap at a garage sale to not buy. They are
switch-mode powered and don't have a heavy power transformer (cf BobF
post). The seller likely didn't know how good the charger was.
If the battery is AGM or gel-cell a 3-stage charger should have a
setting for it - the voltage/current transition points are different.
One of my cars is AGM or gel-cell. The car manufacturer also wants that
charge rate somewhere under 5A.