Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Workbench Height - At the Wrist. Good Idea?

On 1/29/2021 10:13 AM, Brian Welch wrote:
On Friday, January 29, 2021 at 9:41:28 AM UTC-5, Jack wrote:
On 1/27/2021 11:43 AM, Leon wrote:

I don't think wrist height will even come into play unless she will be
using a hand plane and or chisels. Staining will be all different
heights so no height will be correct or incorrect.

Everything has a different ideal height, so the only perfect height is
an adjustable one. Finishing kitchen cabs is not the same as finishing a
mantle clock. If you don't want "perfect" for each task, then the best
imo is table saw height.

So 30" is dinner table height. Test there. 36" is kitchen counter
height, and test there.

All my bench's are a tad under 37". When I built my main work bench in
1975, I built it the same height as my Table saw for use as an in-feed
table. Years later I moved into another house, and it had a "bench"
around the walls of half the shop. The height was slightly under
37",perfect for a "wing" extension support on my Tsaw. A few years later
my kids bought me a steel 13 drawer mechanics work bench with a maple
top. It is just under 37", perfect for my Tsaw out feed table.

Other than my original workbench, this height was totally unplanned, but
works fine for me.This to me means the people building my steel
mechanics bench, and the guy that built the wood "bench" around the
walls of my garage, and the guy that built my original tsaw bench were
ALL uncannily on the same page.

The correct answer to me then is the same height as her table saw. Also,
the standard height of a kitchen counter is 36". That would also be the
correct height for a workbench unless the person has special
circumstances, as in project specific or other issues like wheel chair,
or super short/tall person, or of course owns a tsaw.

--
Jack

I like the idea of TS height...couldn't hurt to provide for some adjustability

True, but my guess is adjustment will be made once, then, like book
shelves, will not change over the next 100 years. I have never once
considered any of my work tops as being too high, too low, or anything
else.

I will say that my lathe cabinet may be a tad too low. I worried about
it when I built it 50 years ago, but it seemed fine until very recently
when my old, tired back decided the very slight amount of bend needed to
turn stuff was going to make me wish for a tad more height. I did a lot
of turning when I was young, and never noticed a problem, even after
many hours of standing.

Now that I'm old and decrepit, I'm doing a good bit of turning again,
just for fun. Now it's always a fight if my back or my legs will turn on
me first.

--
Jack