Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Able[_2_] Peter Able[_2_] is offline

Default Question about TV aerials (Bill Wright?)

On 29/01/2021 10:25, Mark Carver wrote:
On 29/01/2021 10:19, S wrote:
On 29/01/2021 10:01, Mark Carver wrote:
On 28/01/2021 16:46, Peter Able wrote:
On 28/01/2021 12:52, Mark Carver wrote:
On 28/01/2021 12:22, Andy Burns wrote:
Peter Able wrote:

Won't a group A aerial - particularly a big one - cripple the
COM7 multiplex?

How long will CH55 be around for?Â* 700MHz auction taking place in
March?

It's on Death Row, Ofcom licence expires next June. Arqiva can pull
it at very short notice before then (as they did with COM 8)
BTW COM 8 licence is still active, also until 30/6/22, not that
Arqiva will ever bring it back

Thanks for that, both.Â* I'd no idea - but have tried to bone up and,
is this right?

All of the re-works have to happen simultaneously for things not to
go wrong?

Using a full HD TV, we'll still get the current quality and quantity
of service?

It'll offer, to Crystal Palace users with a group A aerial, the
benefit of stuff moving from C55 to lower channel numbers?

Once COM 7 on Ch 55 does close, that's it, nowhere in the UK will
anything above UHF Ch 48 be used for TV broadcasts ever again, so
don't go to too much expense to receive Ch 55 for what will only be a
maximum of 17 more months.

There is no 'roadmap' for the conversion of the remaining five DVB-T1
muxesÂ* to T2, the government seem to be preoccupied on other matters
at present !

Has any one noticed patterns appearing on the national TV transmitters?

It seems that SDN, ARQ A and ARQ B are often found on chs 22, 25 and
28 or on 29, 31 & 37?

and that PSBs 1, 2, 3 are often found on chs 41, 44 & 47....

Thats what led me to think of a national SFN for SDN, ARQ A and ARQ B
is partially in the making......

The main 6 muxes are jammed packed with services, and with robust FEC
measures, that makes any large scale SFN working impossible. The
geographical limit for the path difference on two receivable
transmitters is about 20 miles

COM 7 is a national SFN, but with fewer services, and weaker FEC, so its
limit is about 70 miles (DAB radio has a similar figure)

In order to make the main 6 muxes nationalÂ* SFNs, you'd have to reduce
the number of services (or each service's bit rate), so it's largely
self-defeating

Thanks a lot, all. I'm wiser but sadder. As my grandfather used to say,
"What a way to run a railway!"

PA